Best elementary 'topological spaces' in other words general topology book?

In summary, Mendelson's "Introduction to Topology, Second Edition." is a good book to start with if you want to learn the basics of topology.
tgt
Which would fit this description and with answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
tgt said:
Which would fit this description and with answers?
I found the one in the Schaum Outline series (by Lipshutz) very easy to learn from.

i learned more than enough general topology for a lifetime, from the book entitled general topology by kelley. after a short while it became clear that "real" topology is algebraic or differentiable topology.

if you like old books, the one called set theory by hausdorff is wonderful.

oh you said with answers. unfortunately good books do not have answers. Indeed the ability to enjoy questions without answers is pretty much the mark of someone with the potential to do research.

Hey,

There is a book called REA's Problem Solvers, and there is a topology book with hundreds of solutions to Topology problems. However the material is quite weak outside of the problems. I would recommend Topology by Munkres to get the "lecture" part. I know this is used as a graduate level textbook, but it doesn't really require a "deep" math background.

try "counterexamples in topology", a book full of interesting strange examples with short proofs. actually i liked "counterexamples in analysis" better, especially as a college freshman, and many of those are also somewhat topological.

I learned the basics from Mendelson's "Introduction to Topology, Second Edition." It's published by Dover for less then $15, even.

for me topology only got started being interesting when i figured out how to prove that a continuous function from the unit disc to the plane which equals the identity on the unit circle, must map something to 0.

i.e. try and prove the fundamental theorem of algebra by topology.

Crossley's "Essential Topology" in the Springer Undergraduate Math Series. Answers to selected exercises are included - as is the norm for SUMS books.

What is general topology?

General topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of topological spaces. It deals with concepts such as continuity, compactness, connectedness, and convergence.

Why is it important to learn about general topology?

General topology is an essential foundation for many branches of mathematics, including analysis, geometry, and algebraic topology. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are the key topics covered in a general topology book?

A general topology book typically covers topics such as topological spaces, continuous functions, topological properties, compactness, connectedness, and metric spaces. It may also include discussions on separation axioms, product spaces, and quotient spaces.

What are some recommended elementary general topology books?

Some recommended elementary general topology books include "Topology" by James R. Munkres, "A First Course in Topology: Continuity and Dimension" by John McCleary, and "Topology: An Introduction" by Achim Jung.

What are some tips for understanding general topology concepts?

Some tips for understanding general topology concepts include practicing with examples, drawing diagrams to visualize concepts, and studying the proofs of theorems. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in set theory and basic mathematical concepts.