Work-Energy theorem and kinetic energy pertaining to a car

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, a 1,100 kg car traveling at 46 km/h has 51 kJ of energy removed by the brakes, resulting in a final speed of 8.4 m/s. To stop the car completely, an additional 55 kJ of kinetic energy must be removed by the brakes. This energy is converted into heat energy due to friction.
DMOC

Homework Statement

An 1,100 kg car is traveling 46 km/h on a level road. The brakes are applied long enough to remove 51 kJ of energy.

A. What is the final speed of the car?

B. How much more kinetic energy must be removed by the brakes to stop the car?

C. Is this energy really being "removed?" Where does it "go?"

Homework Equations

Work = [Final kinetic energy] - [Initial kinetic energy]

Kinetic energy = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A Attempt:

I started out by using the first equation, abbreviated as:

W = KE(f) - KE(i)

I then converted 51 kJ into 51,000 J and put that value in for "work." After that, I substituted the KE values for (1/2)mv^2 according to the second equation I listed.

51,000 J = [(1/2)mv^2] - [(1/2)mv^2]

I plugged in some more values. In order to get the units to come out as Joules, I had to convert 46 km/h for the initial veloctity to 12.7777... m/s.

51,000 J = [(1/2)*(1,100 kg)*(v^2)] - [(1/2)*(1,100 kg)*(12.777777... m/s)^2]
51,000 J = [550 kg*v^2] - [7027.77777... J]
58027.777... J = [550 kg*v^2]
v^2=105.5050505...
v=10.27...
v=10 m/s

This is the value I got for the final speed of the car. However, I can't shake off the feeling that I did something wrong here. I still don't fully understand what work exactly is. Was I right in inserting 51,000 J into that equation for W?

Part B Attempt:

This is a little easier. Using the 10 m/s value I obtained from the previous problem:

KE = (1/2)mv^2
KE = (1/2)(1,100 kg)(10 m/s)2
KE = 55,000 J

Part C Attempt:

I am confused on where the energy actually goes. I think it gets converted into thermal energy because the energy used for the brake gets released as gas into the atmosphere. Again, I'm not 100% sure on this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem the energy is removed from the system. So the formula should be

Work = [Initial kinetic energy] - [Final kinetic energy]
-(51,000 J) = [(1/2)*(1,100 kg)*(v^2)] - [(1/2)*(1,100 kg)*(12.777777... m/s)^2]

That would give me a negative value of 79.9 to take the square root of, which is imaginary. Or do I disregard the negative?

EDIT: Never mind, this worked out perfectly for part a and I ended up getting 8.4 m/s. Now it's just part c that confuses me.

EDIT Again: I figured out Part C. It's heat energy due to friction.

Thanks rl.bhat!

Last edited:
Check your calculations.
Initial KE = (1/2)*(1.100kg0*(12.7777)^2 J
Energy removed = 51000 J
Now find the final KE and final speed.

My calculation mistake was a pretty sheepish one...not squaring the velocity.

What is the Work-Energy theorem and how does it apply to a car?

The Work-Energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the context of a car, this means that the work done by the engine is equal to the change in the car's kinetic energy, which is its motion or speed.

How is kinetic energy calculated for a car?

The kinetic energy of a car can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the car and v is its velocity or speed.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a car?

The kinetic energy of a car is affected by its mass and speed. A heavier car or a car traveling at higher speeds will have a greater kinetic energy.

How does the Work-Energy theorem explain braking in a car?

When a car brakes, it is doing negative work on the car, which means it is removing energy from the car's kinetic energy. This decrease in kinetic energy results in the car slowing down or coming to a stop.

Can the Work-Energy theorem be applied to other types of vehicles?

Yes, the Work-Energy theorem can be applied to any object in motion, including other types of vehicles such as bicycles, motorcycles, and airplanes.