Free Body Diagram for a Baseball Hit by a Bat

In summary, the question is asking which forces should be included in the free body diagram for a baseball when it is hit by a bat. The correct answer is options 1 and 3, as they are the only forces acting on the baseball and not the bat itself.
fishguts
I am having problems with a couple of homework questions. IF anyone can help out that would be great.

Homework Statement

Neglect air resistance in this problem. Mark all that apply when answering each question.
Which forces should be included in the free body diagram for a baseball at the moment it is hit by the bat?

1. the force of gravity on the ball
2. the force of the glove on the bat
3. the force of the bat on the ball
4. the force of the ball on the bat
5. the force of gravity on the bat

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I though the correct answer would be options 1, 3, 4, 5 because all these forces play a part in what is happening at the time when the ball is struck by the bat. My selections were incorrect though. Can anyone offer me any tips to correct the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Free body diagram of ball or bat?

It is the free body diagram for a baseball at the moment it is hit by the bat

So we have to consider all forces that acts on the baseball not on the bat.

So then the correct answer should be 1 and 3 since every other option has foces actiong on the bat?

I think that is right.

Yup it is correct thanks for the help

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on an object, such as gravity, friction, or applied forces, and their direction and magnitude.

Why is it important to use free body diagrams?

Free body diagrams are important because they help us understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. They also help us solve problems involving forces and determine the net force acting on an object.

What are the steps to creating a free body diagram?

The steps to creating a free body diagram are:

1. Identify the object and draw it as a dot or box.
  2. Label all the external forces acting on the object, including their direction and magnitude.
  3. Draw the forces as arrows starting from the dot or box and pointing in the direction of the force.
  4. Make sure the length of the arrows represents the magnitude of the force.
  5. Label the forces with their corresponding variables.

Can free body diagrams be used for objects at rest?

Yes, free body diagrams can be used for objects at rest. In this case, the net force acting on the object is zero, and the free body diagram will show all the forces acting on the object in equilibrium.

How do free body diagrams relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Free body diagrams are essential for understanding and applying Newton's Laws of Motion. They help us analyze the forces acting on an object and determine the net force, which is necessary for Newton's Second Law (F=ma). They also help us visualize and understand the action-reaction pairs of forces described by Newton's Third Law.