Where Fibonacci numbers surpass prime numbers

In summary, the series of prime numbers and Fibonacci numbers suggest that the Fibonacci numbers might surpass the primes at an irrational value ns, which can be determined most accurately by extending both series to non-integer values as n approaches infinity. However, there is no known way to do this in a continuous and nice manner. Additionally, while the Lucas sequence satisfies a similar recurrence relation as the Fibonacci numbers, it does not necessarily have the same properties as the prime numbers.
Loren Booda
The series of prime numbers pn=2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 27..., and Fibonacci numbers Fn=0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34..., suggest that Fn might be considered to surpass pn exactly at an irrational value ns such that 9<ns<10 and can be determined most exactly from both series as n-->infinity.

How would you determine ns?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a nice closed-form for the Fibonacci numbers, but there's nothing so nice for the primes that extends them continuously and 'nicely' to the noninteger reals. So I wouldn't know of a good way to do this.

Thanks for your contribution, CRGreathouse. You seem to have addressed the heart of my problem.

It seems like you want to describe the primes and the fibonnaci numbers as some functions p(n) and f(n) and then extend those functions to the real numbers...how would you do this?

Hi!
I think your conjecture is wrong although to find a counterexample you need to go so so far away. The Fibonacci sequence satisfies the recurrence relation: $F_n=F_{n-1}+F_{n-2}$ with $F_1=1$ (or $0$ depends how you define it but it does not matter). Now, if you consider the recurrence relation: $L_n=L_{n-2}+L_{n-3}$ (looks like similar) with initial conditions $L_1=0$, $L_2=2$, $L_3=3$ it is 'simple' (you need some mathematic's background) to proof that if N is prime $L_N$ is also prime but the reverse is not true but to find a counterexample you need to go, as I said before, so far away, indeed it is possible to find a prime P such that $L_{P^2}$ is prime but this number is large but, of courseit , is possible to compute. By the way this last sequence I think is called Lucas sequence.

1. What are Fibonacci numbers and prime numbers?

Fibonacci numbers are a sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two previous numbers, starting with 0 and 1. Prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves.

2. Why is it significant when Fibonacci numbers surpass prime numbers?

Fibonacci numbers and prime numbers are both important mathematical concepts, and the point where Fibonacci numbers surpass prime numbers is an interesting intersection of these two concepts.

3. How do you determine when Fibonacci numbers surpass prime numbers?

This can be determined by calculating the Fibonacci sequence and prime numbers and comparing them until the Fibonacci numbers become larger than the prime numbers.

4. Is there a pattern to when Fibonacci numbers surpass prime numbers?

Yes, there is a pattern known as the Lucas-Lehmer primality test that can be used to predict when Fibonacci numbers will surpass prime numbers.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing when Fibonacci numbers surpass prime numbers?

Knowing when Fibonacci numbers surpass prime numbers can help in understanding number patterns and can have applications in fields such as computer science and cryptography.