Calculating Impact Force of an Arrow on Target

In summary, the conversation discussed the design of an archery target and determining the impact force of an arrow traveling at 100.6m/s and weighing 22.68g. They also questioned the translation of this force to the target frame and whether it would be negligible on small thickness sections of steel. However, it was concluded that the force of the arrow would be insignificant compared to other factors such as wind or vandalism.
x-ten
This may be more of an engineering question, but here goes:

I am designing an archery target and am trying to establish the impact force of the arrow on the target.
The arrow is traveling at 100.6m/s and weighs 22.68g, what would be the force of the arrow on the target?

How does this force then translate to the target frame? (since i am trying to work out what steel to use) or is this force going to be almost negligible even on small thickness sections of steel?

thanks,
Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on how long it takes to slow the arrow down to 0 mph. The force is higher with a steel target than with a cork target.

And what would knowing the force value do for you?

Thanks for responding John,

After talking to a few people, i have found that the force of the arrow will be negligible compared to the wind or vandals, so it won't really do much for me to know the arrow's force :uhh:

Please consider this thread closed.

What is the formula for calculating impact force of an arrow on target?

The formula for calculating impact force of an arrow on target is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the arrow, and a is the acceleration of the arrow upon impact.

How do you determine the mass and velocity of an arrow?

The mass of an arrow can be determined by weighing it on a scale. The velocity can be measured using a chronograph, which measures the speed of the arrow as it is shot.

What factors can affect the impact force of an arrow on target?

The factors that can affect the impact force of an arrow on target include the mass and velocity of the arrow, the distance between the arrow and the target, and the density and composition of the target material.

Can the impact force of an arrow on target be predicted accurately?

While the impact force of an arrow on target can be calculated using the formula mentioned above, it may not always be accurate due to factors such as air resistance and variations in the arrow's flight path. However, it can provide a good estimate of the force.

How can the impact force of an arrow on target be reduced?

The impact force of an arrow on target can be reduced by using a lighter arrow, shooting from a shorter distance, or using a target made of materials that are more forgiving and have a lower density. Additionally, proper form and shooting technique can also help reduce the impact force.