Continuity of the identity function on function spaces.

In summary, the task is to show that the identity functions from C^{0}_{1}[a,b] to C^{0}_{p}[a,b] and from C^{0}_{p}[a,b] to C^{0}_{\infty}[a,b] are not continuous when p\in (1,\infty). This can be proven by showing that the p-norm and the \infty-norm (or 1-norm) are not equivalent. To do this, a sequence of functions can be used, such as f_n(x)=\exp{(x/n)}, to show that the maximum of each function is not bounded by epsilon, but the area below their absolute value elevated to p is bounded by
ELESSAR TELKONT

Homework Statement

Show that if [tex]p\in (1,\infty)[/tex] the identity functions [tex]id:C^{0}_{1}[a,b]\longrightarrow C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/tex] and [tex]id:C^{0}_{p}[a,b]\longrightarrow C^{0}_{\infty}[a,b][/tex] are not continuous.

Homework Equations

[tex]C^{0}_{p}[a,b][/tex] is the space of continuous functions on the [a,b] with the p-norm [tex]\left\vert\left\vert f\right\vert\right\vert_{p}=\int_{a}^{b}\vert f\vert^{p}\,dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It is sufficient to prove that for [tex]C^{0}[0,1][/tex] because I can map the interval [tex][0,1][/tex] to the interval [tex][a,b][/tex] via [tex]x=(b-a)t+a[/tex]. In fact, since [tex]C^{0}[0,1][/tex] is a vector space is sufficient to prove that for [tex]f_{0}\equiv 0[/tex] the identity is discontinuous.

To prove discontinuity I have to prove that [tex]\exists \epsilon>0 \mid \forall\delta>0[/tex] I can show that [tex]\left\vert\left\vert f\right\vert\right\vert_{1}<\delta \longrightarrow \left\vert\left\vert f\right\vert\right\vert_{p}>\epsilon[/tex] or what's the same, there is a sequence of functions that the area below their absolute value is less than delta but the area below their absolute value elevated to p is not bounded by epsilon. For the second case I must prove that there exists a sequence of functions for that the maximum of each is not bounded by epsilon but the area below their absolute value elevated to p is bounded by delta.

In other words I have to prove that the [tex]p[/tex]-norm and the [tex]\infty[/tex]-norm (or the [tex]1[/tex]-norm) are not equivalent.

My problem is that to prove vía sequences I can't figure out a function sequence that elevated to p can help me to prove that.

I have already proven something similar: that [tex]id:C^{0}_{1}[0,1]\longrightarrow C^{0}_{\infty}[0,1][/tex] is not continuous. I have done it via the functions [tex]g_{\delta}(x)=1-\frac{1}{\delta}x[/tex] for [tex]0\leq x\leq \delta[/tex] and 0 for [tex]\delta\leq x\leq 1[/tex] and it's straightforward. However this functions don't help me in my present problem. Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try [tex]f_n(x)=\exp{(x/n)}[/tex].

Btw, I'm sure you just forgot to put this in, but the p-norm is
[tex]\|f\|_p = \left(\int_a^b |f|^p\,dx\right)^{1/p}.[/tex]​

1. What is the identity function on function spaces?

The identity function on function spaces is a function that maps every element in a given function space to itself. In other words, it is the function that returns the same input value as its output value. This function is denoted as id and is defined as id(x) = x.

2. Why is continuity of the identity function important on function spaces?

Continuity of the identity function is important because it ensures that the function space is well-behaved and that the properties of the space are preserved under the function. It also allows for the use of important theorems and techniques in mathematics, such as the intermediate value theorem and the chain rule.

3. How is continuity of the identity function proven on function spaces?

To prove continuity of the identity function on function spaces, one must show that for any sequence of points in the function space that converges, the image of that sequence also converges. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and properties of limits.

4. Can the identity function be discontinuous on function spaces?

No, the identity function cannot be discontinuous on function spaces. This is because it is a simple, linear function that does not have any points of discontinuity. Additionally, as mentioned before, continuity of the identity function is necessary for the function space to be well-behaved.

5. How does continuity of the identity function relate to other functions on function spaces?

The continuity of the identity function is a special case of continuity for any function on a function space. In other words, if the identity function is continuous on a function space, then any other function on that space must also be continuous. This is because the identity function is the most basic and simple function on a given space.