Constructing Bijections

• Thread starter panderse
  • Start date
In summary, constructing a bijection means presenting an equation that shows that it is both one-to-one and onto. For the portion involving (...] and [...), it can be done using a regular function format or it can be done piecewise.
panderse

Homework Statement

Let w,x,y,z be real #'s with w<x and y<z

Construct bijections
[w,x] <-> [y,z]
(w,x] <-> [y,z)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the closed interval bijection, I was trying to work with the following:

(z-y)/(x-w) * (f-w) + y where w,x,y,z are the #'s and f is the function variable.

If I'm not mistaken, this is injective and surjective, thus bijective.

One thing I was wondering is simply what it means to "construct" the bijection?? Does it just mean presenting the equation above and showing that it is 1-1 and onto? Or is there something more complex at work?

And for the (...] <-> [...) portion, I am at a loss. Can this be done in a regular function type format, or do I need to do it piecewise?

Thanks
Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Pete! Welcome to PF! :smile:
panderse said:
One thing I was wondering is simply what it means to "construct" the bijection?? Does it just mean presenting the equation above and showing that it is 1-1 and onto? Or is there something more complex at work?

Yes, "construct" just means presenting an equation.
And for the (...] <-> [...) portion, I am at a loss. Can this be done in a regular function type format, or do I need to do it piecewise?

oh come on

imagine you're a three-year-old child and you're presented with two [) and (] -shaped bricks :rolleyes: :wink:

1. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a type of function in mathematics that maps every element in one set to a unique element in another set. In other words, it is a one-to-one and onto mapping between two sets.

2. Why is constructing bijections important?

Constructing bijections is important because it allows us to prove that two sets have the same cardinality (the same number of elements), which is a fundamental concept in mathematics. It also helps us to understand the structure and relationships between different sets.

3. How do you construct a bijection?

To construct a bijection between two sets, you need to first define the function and then show that it is both one-to-one and onto. This can be done by proving that every element in the first set has a unique mapping to an element in the second set, and that every element in the second set has a preimage in the first set.

4. Can every function be a bijection?

No, not every function can be a bijection. For a function to be a bijection, it must be both one-to-one and onto. Therefore, functions that are not one-to-one or not onto cannot be bijections.

5. What is the role of inverse functions in constructing bijections?

The inverse function plays a crucial role in constructing bijections. In order for a function to be a bijection, it must have an inverse function that maps the elements in the second set back to the elements in the first set. This ensures that the mapping is both one-to-one and onto.