Calculating the Angle of Deviation at a Glass-Air Interface

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the angle of deviation at a glass-air interface using Snell's Law. The question is posted in the wrong forum, but the equation and method for finding the angle of deviation is discussed. There is confusion about the terminology and whether the angle will cause total internal reflection. The correct answer is determined to be 19 degrees using the formula n_1 \sin \theta _1 = n_2 \sin \theta_2 and subtracting Sin(65) - SIN(35) to find the angle of deviation.
futb0l
I am having trouble understanding this question, can somebody here please explain it to me... should be quite simple as this is only high school stuff.

Calculate the angle of deviation at a glass-air interface for an angle of incidence of 65degrees and refractive index of glass of 1.55 .

edit: ooops, sorry i posted in the wrong forum... suposed to be in homework help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it's called Snell's Law:

[tex]\frac{\sin \theta _1}{n_1} = \frac{\sin \theta _2}{n_2}[/tex]

[itex]\theta _1[/tex] is the angle of incidence, [itex]n_1[/itex] is the index of refraction of the first medium (i.e. if it's going from water to plastic, water is the first medium), [itex]\theta _2[/itex] is the angle of deviation (wait, I don't remember it being called "angle of deviation," I thought it was angle of refraction or something, oh well...) and you can guess what [itex]n _2[/itex] is. I believe you have 3 of these values, so you can find the fourth. And don't take my word, look up this law and make sure I have it right (I can't imagine it being any different, but you never know).

EDIT: Oh, and in case you needed, the third value that isn't explicitly given to you is the index of refraction of air, which I'm pretty sure is 1, but look that up too.

i know how to calculate the angle of refraction, but i am still not sure on how to calculate the 'angle of deviation' which is quite confusing. btw, Snell's Law is suposed to be...

[tex]n_1 \sin \theta _1 = n_2 \sin \theta_2[/tex]

futb0l got the equation right.
I believe that angle of deviation is NOT the angle of refraction...rather, the angle formed by the refracted ray, and the incident ray. In simpler terms, it means "how big an angle the light ray is bent". My method of finding this angle would be to subtract the angle of refraction from the angle of incidence. Why? Draw a figure yourself.

allright thanks.

I tried using your method [kuenmao] but when I did it I have an answer of 29 degrees. The answer sheet says it's 19 degrees, maybe I didn't do the question correctly or something.

wait, wait, wait... From Glass(1.55) to Air (1) at 65 degrees?
thats going to total internally refect isn't it? i just calculated the critical angle of glass to air, it's 40.17 degrees.

yeah, i thought about that too... and knowing that it will internally reflect, the angle of deviation should be 50 degrees... because 90 - 65 = 25 and then you times it by 2...

however, the answer sheet says it's 19... which I think is wrong.

Hey, i don't know how long ago this questions from but
the answer 19 is right!
This is how you do it:
the formula as you said is
[tex]n_1 \sin \theta _1 = n_2 \sin \theta_2[/tex]

what you do is
[tex]n_1(1) \sin ( 65 = n_2(1.55) \sin \theta_2[/tex]
and then you get
Sin(65) divided by 1.55 = refractive angle
the refractive angle is 35
Your mistake was you just subtracted 35 from 65 and got 30
you should have subtracted:
SIN (65) - SIN(35)
And then gotten the inverse sin
which would have given you
19.4 which is 19 degrees
:D yay!

1. What is the angle of deviation in terms of light refraction?

The angle of deviation refers to the amount by which a light ray is bent when passing through a medium with a different refractive index. It is measured as the angle between the incident ray and the emergent ray of light.

2. How is the angle of deviation calculated?

The angle of deviation is calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media.

3. What factors affect the angle of deviation?

The angle of deviation is affected by the refractive index of the medium through which the light passes, as well as the angle of incidence and the wavelength of the light. It also depends on the shape and material of the medium.

4. Why is the angle of deviation important in studying light?

The angle of deviation is important in studying light because it helps us understand how light behaves when passing through different media. It also allows us to calculate the refractive index of a medium, which is crucial for many applications in optics and engineering.

5. Can the angle of deviation be negative?

Yes, the angle of deviation can be negative. This occurs when the light ray is bent towards the normal line instead of away from it. This can happen when the refractive index of the medium is greater than that of the incident medium, causing the light ray to bend in the opposite direction.