Entangled States in Qubits: Product or Entangled?

In summary, the conversation discusses defining states [0] and [1] as the basis (1,0) and (0,1) and determining if the states [Xi] = \frac{1}{2} ([00] + [01] + [10] - [11]) and [Xi] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{10}} ([01] + 3 [10]) are product or entangled states. The suggester provides a method for determining if a state is a product state and suggests that both states may be entangled.
wam_mi

Homework Statement

Suppose we define states [0] and [1] be the basis which [0] = (1,0) and [1] = (0,1).

There are two things I want to ask. Are the following states product or entangled states?

(i) [Xi] = \frac{1}{2} ([00] + [01] + [10] - [11])

(ii) [Xi] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{10}} ([01] + 3 [10])

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that [Xi] = \frac{1}{2} ([00] + [01] + [10] + [11]) is a product state, since it can be represented by the tensor products between two qubits. But I just can't see what the answers are for the questions I stated at above. Hm... I guess they're both entangled, am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
A general two qubit product state is [itex]|\Psi\rangle=(\alpha|0\rangle+\beta|1\rangle)\otimes(\gamma|0\rangle+\delta|1\rangle)[/itex]...Expand the tensor product and equate it to the state you wish to test... are there any values of [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex], [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] that make that equality hold?

1. What are entangled states in qubits?

Entangled states in qubits refer to a quantum phenomenon where two or more qubits (quantum bits) become correlated in a way that their properties cannot be described independently of each other. This correlation is maintained even if the qubits are physically separated, and any changes made to one qubit will affect the other(s) instantly.

2. How are entangled states created?

Entangled states can be created through various methods, such as using a quantum circuit to prepare two or more qubits in a specific entangled state, or by using a process called quantum teleportation to transfer the state of one qubit to another, resulting in entanglement.

3. What is the difference between product states and entangled states in qubits?

Product states in qubits refer to a state where each qubit is in a well-defined state, and their properties can be described independently of each other. In contrast, entangled states in qubits have a correlation between the qubits, and their properties cannot be described independently. In other words, product states are separable, while entangled states are inseparable.

4. Are entangled states in qubits useful?

Yes, entangled states in qubits have several useful applications in quantum computing. They are crucial for quantum teleportation, quantum cryptography, and quantum error correction. They also play a significant role in quantum algorithms, such as Shor's algorithm for factoring large numbers and Grover's algorithm for searching unsorted databases.

5. Can entangled states in qubits be used for communication?

Yes, entangled states in qubits can be used for communication through a process called quantum teleportation. This process allows the transfer of quantum information from one location to another without physically sending the qubits themselves. However, this type of communication is limited by the no-cloning theorem, which states that it is impossible to create an exact copy of an unknown quantum state.