Is CCSVI the Key to Treating Multiple Sclerosis?

• Medical
  • Thread starter algis.j
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, Multiple Sclerosis is making a boom due to a new approach to treatment involving Chronic CerebroSpinal Venous Insufficiency. The Canadian MS Society will start a controlled study based on the Dr. Zamboni's protocol.
algis.j
A new approach to Multiple Sclerosis cause/treatment. Chronic CerebroSpinal Venous Insufficiency. It is presently making a boom in the MS society.

http://csvi-ms.net/en
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8374980.stm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ms-group-calls-for-research-into-potentially-paradigm-shifting-theory/article1374954/

Would that exam require specially-trained radiologists? It seems to be a special procedure and up to now only few hospital offer the service.
Canadian MS Society will start a controlled study based on the Dr.Zamboni's protocol.

Cheers all;

Algis

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Very exciting developments! WOW!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091120/W5_liberation_091121/20091121?s_name=W5

I wonder if iron chelators can be used to decrease the inflammation.

Anybody have any information regarding the ability of common antibiotics to chelate iron? Common antibiotics like tetracycline?

Thanks for posting this, Algis. I read the links and sent one to my brother-in-law who has MS. He also used to be an ER doc. Currently he's taking a daily injection of something that seems to have pretty much halted the progress of the disease.

@Chemisttree: I want to correct myself - I found this while doing my researches:

Three tetracyclines (tetracycline, doxycycline, and minocycline) were found to possesses iron-chelating activity in a colorimetric siderophore assay.
Determination of MICs indicated that the activity of doxycycline against the periodontopathogen Actinobacillus Actinomycetemcomitans was only slightly influenced by the presence of an excess of iron that likely saturates the antibiotic. On the other hand, the MICs of doxycycline and minocycline were significantly lower for A. actinomycetemcomitans cultivated under iron-poor conditions than under iron-rich conditions.

PMID: 10681353

@Zoobyshoe: you're welcome.

algis.j said:
@chemisttree: I want to correct myself - I found this while doing my researches:...

I asked because antibiotics http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/12/11/33410.aspx" and treats it with antibiotics. I wonder if the action of the antibiotic could simply be due to iron chelation rather than the elimination of extremely low levels of Bartonella.

Of course whatever antibiotic chelating action would presuppose it could cross the blood brain barrier.

Doxycycline and minocycline are sometimes used with MS patients. But there are probably other iron chelator agents out there; Phytic Acid?

i dunno, too much of this sounds like you're simply dealing with inflammation. so, a lot of things seem to help a lot of different people with MS because there are a lot of ways to modulate inflammatory response. anyone tried infecting them with worms, yet?

oh, and a little searching seemed to indicate that inflammation causes blood Fe to go down, but that it ends up in tissues like the liver. and brain.

I wish it would be that simple :D

yeah, i know it's not, but i think the mainstream is still focused on autoimmunity. and i saw something saying they'd been down this bloodflow road before and it went nowhere.

It is not because they are a lot to be wrong that they are right...

Thank you all :)

chemisttree said:
I asked because antibiotics http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/12/11/33410.aspx" and treats it with antibiotics. I wonder if the action of the antibiotic could simply be due to iron chelation rather than the elimination of extremely low levels of Bartonella.

Of course whatever antibiotic chelating action would presuppose it could cross the blood brain barrier.

Is there any other way? Is it possible to pull out and remove the iron with high magnetic field? Any new idea?

Doxycycline has worked for some; it is an antibiotic ~and~ iron chelator... So tough call...

The idea behind CCSvI is:
blood slowing because narrowing of the veins.
Blood percolate because of endothelial permability;
iron of the blood bind with myelin;
immune system eat iron - and the bounded myelin...

It is reasonable. It puzzle medical corps since so long it becomes desperate...

Sorry: I do not think magnetic field could separate molecules in the brain... Fe is binding with fat; which myelin is rich of.

1. What is Multiple Sclerosis?

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic and often disabling disease of the central nervous system. It is an autoimmune disorder in which the body's immune system attacks the protective covering of nerve fibers, causing communication problems between the brain and the rest of the body.

2. What is CCSVI?

CCSVI stands for Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency. It is a condition in which the veins that drain blood from the brain and spinal cord are narrowed or blocked, causing blood to flow in the wrong direction and potentially leading to a build-up of iron in the brain.

3. Is there a link between MS and CCSVI?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support a direct link between MS and CCSVI. Some studies have suggested a possible connection, but further research is needed to confirm this. Additionally, many experts believe that CCSVI may be a result of MS, rather than a cause.

4. Can CCSVI be treated?

There are various treatments for CCSVI, including angioplasty and stenting, which aim to open up the blocked veins and improve blood flow. However, the effectiveness and safety of these treatments have not been proven through rigorous scientific studies, and they are not currently recommended as a treatment for MS.

5. What is the current research on MS and CCSVI?

There is ongoing research on the potential link between MS and CCSVI, but the results have been inconclusive so far. Some studies have found a higher prevalence of CCSVI in MS patients, while others have not. It is important to note that most of these studies have been small and not well-controlled, so more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between these two conditions.

Back