Allowable stress for a cantilever beam

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a simple lift and the difficulties in calculating the maximum allowable load and stress for the beams. It is mentioned that the beams are made of AL 6061 T60 and the use of the AISC steel construction manual for maximum allowable stress values is recommended. The conversation also mentions checking on Monday for other ways to calculate the stress and the importance of considering assumptions in stress calculations.
mdaltayeb
Hey guys, I'm designing a simple lift in the picture below. I've done nearly all the calculations but i still can't figure out how to calculate the maximum allowable load and stress that the beams can withstand. Also will welding affect any of these calculations dramatically?
say that the horizontal beam is 3 ft long with a square cross section of 2X2 inches and wall thickness of 0.5 inch
say that the column is 6 ft high with a cylindrical cross section with an OD 4inch and ID 3.75
the beams are made of AL 6061 T60.

Attachments

• design.png
    design.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 717
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for your reply. However, my design is going to be made out of Al 6061 T60. does this book contains tables for this materials ?
is there other ways to calculate the allowable stress without using these tables ?
thanx

My copy is in my office. I can check on Monday for you.

Thanks
Matt

Stress calculations involve assumptions which will be untrue in every practical situation. In this case, lateral buckling sway is an alternative failure mode you need to consider. Always list and consider the assumptions being made. No more 'formula engineering' please.

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at only one end, with the other end extending freely into space.

2. What is allowable stress?

Allowable stress is the maximum amount of stress that a material or structure can withstand without experiencing permanent deformation or failure.

3. How is the allowable stress for a cantilever beam determined?

The allowable stress for a cantilever beam is determined by factors such as the material properties, the dimensions of the beam, and the load applied to the beam.

4. Why is it important to consider allowable stress for a cantilever beam?

Considering the allowable stress for a cantilever beam is important because it ensures that the beam can safely support the intended load without experiencing failure or excessive deformation.

5. Can the allowable stress for a cantilever beam be exceeded?

It is not recommended to exceed the allowable stress for a cantilever beam, as doing so can lead to structural failure or damage. However, in some cases, the allowable stress may be exceeded temporarily, but it should be kept as low as possible to prevent long-term structural damage.