Optics Books: Exploring Reflection, Diffraction & Rayleigh Scattering

Aha" understanding of phenomena? Specifically, is the book by Jenkins and White or by Pedrotti better in this regard? In summary, the speaker is looking for an optics book that explains light wave interactions with surfaces using diagrams and provides a deep understanding of phenomena. They are wondering if the books by Jenkins and White or Pedrotti are better in this regard.
stringbean
I'm wanting to get another optics book. I'm interested in finding a book that gives insight into how light waves interact with surfaces such as in reflection and x-ray diffraction and things like that using sufficient diagrams of the wavefronts and particles and rayleigh scattering. I want to have that "Aha, I see!" moments about such phenomena. The book by Hecht is pretty okay, but I'm wondering if other optics books are as good or better with those explanations and diagrams. Is the book by Jenkins and White or by Pedrotti better in this regard or at least as good?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also want to know answers to your questions ??

can you help us

1. What is the main focus of "Optics Books: Exploring Reflection, Diffraction & Rayleigh Scattering"?

The main focus of this book is to provide an in-depth understanding of the principles and phenomena of optics, specifically reflection, diffraction, and Rayleigh scattering.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at students and researchers in the fields of physics, engineering, and optics who have a basic understanding of optics and are looking to further their knowledge on the topics of reflection, diffraction, and Rayleigh scattering.

3. What makes this book stand out from other optics books?

This book offers a unique approach to learning about optics by focusing on three specific phenomena and providing detailed explanations and real-world examples. It also includes interactive diagrams and simulations to enhance the learning experience.

4. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it meant to be used in a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It provides clear explanations and examples for self-study, but can also be used as a supplement to a lecture or course on optics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

Some basic knowledge of optics, physics, and mathematics is recommended for reading this book. Familiarity with concepts such as light, waves, and geometric optics will help readers better understand the material.