Where can I find video lectures on advanced math topics?

In summary, the conversation is about sharing links to online video lectures for math and physics courses. Some recommended links include those from MIT, which cover topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and linear algebra. Other resources mentioned include lectures by Professor Walter Lewin and lectures on quantum mechanics from the University of California San Diego. Some members express their appreciation for the lectures and request for more resources.
galois427
anybody know of a place where i can watch video lectures of math courses? anything above calculus will be of interest. thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's a good link to get you going

http://www.mit.edu/people/cabi/Links/physics_seminar_videos.htm

A lot of physics, but plenty of maths as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably included in pnaj's list as well, but:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/index.htm [Broken]
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoLectures/index.htm [Broken]

These are video lectures on Classical Mechanics and Electromagnetism. They'r really great, because the professor (Walter Lewin) does a great job with showing experiments in class. Very good lectures, but the level is not very deep.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-06Linear-AlgebraFall2002/VideoLectures/index.htm [Broken]
If you're having trouble with Linear Algebra this might be of help, but I wouldn`t watch it for fun (as with the two above), because the lectures are extremely slow-paced.

http://www.vega.org.uk/series/lectures/feynman/ [Broken]
Feynman lecturing quantum electrodynamics for the layman. Very funny way of explaining with the arrows goin' round. But the quality is a bit bad.

Its more physics than math, but still fun anyhow...

Prof. Lewin's lectures are great!

I didn't study EM, so for me the 8.02 lectures are like gold dust!

And he explains and demonstrates things so well, I got a lot of 'physical' information out of 8.01 as well.

Paul :smile:

thanks. the physics lecture was really interesting. anymore of these like this?

pnaj said:
Prof. Lewin's lectures are great!

I totally agree. I learned from the lectures on classical mechanics as well (or 8-0-1 as they call it?), because the book I had to use was so terribly bad and my teacher wasn't clear to me either.
Funny thing is, the first time I saw one of his lectures I immediately noticed he had such terrible dutch accent (I`m dutch so I could tell) and later found out that he was indeed dutch.
Too bad the lectures don't go that deep, I would love to see someone give me a clear and deep explanation of Langrangian and Hamiltionian mechanics, because no-one has been able to yet.

The in-class experiments are the best, we never had those in my lectures.

Hey Galileo,

It's funny ... at first, I thought he just had a very strong 'Brooklyn' accent, then I thought maybe German, but realized it couldn't be, otherwise he would pronounce his own name as 'Levin'.

So I guessed Dutch, but whatever, I really like his accent ... I now pronounce 'charge' and 'torque' just like him!

pnaj.

Additive lessons on Mechanics by Professor Lewin

Does anyone know where are located now the lessons on Newtonian Mechanics by Professor Lewin, they are different form those in OCW, they are additive, they were originally in the PiVOT web.

There are some great Quantum Mechanics lecture videos made available by the University of California San Diego at the following sites.
Modern Physics
physicsstream.ucsd.edu/courses/spring2003/physics130a/[/URL]
[PLAIN]physicsstream.ucsd.edu/courses/fall2003/physics130b/[/URL]
[PLAIN]physicsstream.ucsd.edu/courses/winter2004/physics130c/[/URL]

Apart from the "Modern Physics" lectures, others are quicktime streams over rtsp which makes it impossible to download. Since they require high bandwidth for clear viewing, making it impossible for me to get some benefit from them. I really do need them desperately as I am preparing for a graduate level course in Particle Physics. I would be highly grateful if anyone with a broadband connection & little bit of time is willing to capture these videos & upload them for me. I'll provide all the technical details regarding the video caputer & internet space for the upload.

Regards,
Farhan Feroz

thank you very much - the motion lectures are really good - for me (in high school)

Farhan said:
There are some great Quantum Mechanics lecture videos made available by the University of California San Diego at the following sites.
Modern Physics
physicsstream.ucsd.edu/courses/spring2003/physics130a/[/URL]
[PLAIN]physicsstream.ucsd.edu/courses/fall2003/physics130b/[/URL]
[PLAIN]physicsstream.ucsd.edu/courses/winter2004/physics130c/[/URL]

Apart from the "Modern Physics" lectures, others are quicktime streams over rtsp which makes it impossible to download. Since they require high bandwidth for clear viewing, making it impossible for me to get some benefit from them. I really do need them desperately as I am preparing for a graduate level course in Particle Physics. I would be highly grateful if anyone with a broadband connection & little bit of time is willing to capture these videos & upload them for me. I'll provide all the technical details regarding the video caputer & internet space for the upload.

Regards,
Farhan Feroz[/QUOTE]

Yeah - those web sites are almost useless ... I wonder if anyone would have any videos on quantum physics?

What is a video lecture?

A video lecture is a form of online educational content that typically features a recorded lecture by an instructor, accompanied by visual aids such as slides or diagrams.

How do I access video lectures online?

Video lectures can usually be accessed through an online platform or learning management system, such as Coursera or Blackboard. You may need to create an account or enroll in a course to access the lectures.

Are video lectures interactive?

Some video lectures may include interactive elements such as quizzes or activities, but most are pre-recorded and not live. However, many online platforms offer discussion forums or live Q&A sessions for students to interact with the instructor and each other.

Can I watch video lectures on any device?

Most video lectures can be accessed and viewed on a variety of devices, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones. However, some platforms may have specific system requirements or compatibility issues with certain devices.

Are video lectures as effective as in-person lectures?

It depends on the individual and the subject matter. Some students may find video lectures to be just as effective or even more engaging than in-person lectures, while others may struggle with the lack of face-to-face interaction. It also depends on the quality and delivery of the lecture itself.