Can a 9V Motor Produce 200mA as a Generator?

In summary, Ramone asked if a small dc motor would produce the same amount of current if used as a generator at the same RPM, and Bob S explained that the efficiency of converting electrical energy to mechanical power is the same as converting mechanical power back to electrical. To confirm this, Bob S suggested testing the conversion efficiency at different RPMs and electrical loads. Ramone thanked Bob S for their answer and clarified that they meant the electricity needed for conversion is the same as the electricity produced during conversion.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts,

I tried using a small dc motor to generate electricity.
Assuming a 9v motor turns at say 2000 rpm and draws a current of say 200mA.
If used as a generator will this generator produce exactly the same 200mA if the generator spins at 2000 rpm?

I tried spinning the generator as fast as i could but seems that the current is very much lower than 200 mA (for discussion purpose). So, i wish to confirm the above.

sincerely
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
Small brush-type dc motors with a permanent magnet stator are at best 60% or 70% efficient (at optimum RPM and torque) in converting electrical energy into mechanical power. The same can be said for converting mechanical power to electrical. To confirm this, you could take two identical motors, back to back (axle to axle), and measure the electrical-to-mechanical-to-electrical conversion efficiency as a function of the input RPM AND the electrical load (I2R) on the output motor. This will give you a family of curves, a different curve for each RPM.
Bob S

Dear Bob S,
Thanks for your answer.

To confirm, you mean the electricity needed to convert electric-mechanical energy for at a fixed rpm is the same as that produced by the process of mechanical-electrical energy conversion?

Sincerely
Ramone

1. Can a 9V motor generate electricity?

Yes, a 9V motor can generate electricity when it is used as a generator. When a motor is turned by an external force, such as a hand crank, it converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.

2. How much electrical current can a 9V motor generate?

The amount of electrical current produced by a 9V motor as a generator depends on several factors, including the motor's design, speed, and load. In general, a 9V motor can produce around 200mA of current as a generator.

3. Is a 9V motor powerful enough to generate electricity for household use?

No, a 9V motor does not have enough power to generate electricity for household use. It can only produce a small amount of current, which is not enough to power appliances or devices that require high levels of electricity.

4. How does a 9V motor generate electricity?

A 9V motor generates electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction. When the motor is turned, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the conductive coils inside the motor, producing an electrical current.

5. Can a 9V motor produce more than 200mA as a generator?

Yes, it is possible for a 9V motor to produce more than 200mA as a generator, depending on its design and operating conditions. However, it is not recommended to exceed the maximum current rating of a motor as it can cause damage to the motor or other connected components.