Need help understanding Half life, decay constant & activity equations

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the relations between half life, decay constant, and activity. The half life is the time it takes to reduce the nuclides by half, while the decay constant can be solved from the equation lambda = 0.693/T^(1/2). The decay/sec can be determined using the equation A = -dN/dt = lambda * N, where N is the number of atoms and A is the activity. The equation dN/dt = -lambda * N is used to calculate the activity and is based on the assumptions that activity is proportional to the number of atoms and depends on the type of radioisotope. It is also mentioned that a basic understanding of calculus is necessary to fully
immuno
Hi guys

i'm having much difficulties in understanding the relations between half life, decay constant and activity.

I'll explain what i known here.

[tex]T^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] is the half life which is the time to reduce the nuclides by half.

[tex]\lambda[/tex] is the decay constant which can be solved from

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0.693/ [tex]T^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]. Am i correct? Where do 0.693 come from?

The decay/sec can be find out using [tex]A = -\frac{dN}{dt} = \lambda N[/tex] if the half life and N is known.

I want to clarify N is in grams? So like 10g of C14 would be the No?

I don't really understand this equation:

[tex]
\frac{dN}{dt} = -\lambda N
[/tex]

i know why it is negative [tex] \lambda N [/tex] as it's decreasing exponentially but what do the d and t stands for? Does the t stands for the half life? What is the use of the equation?

Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had calculus? d/dt is the time derivative.

Zz.

No.. I've not done calculus.

so how do i solve for an equation involving [tex] \frac{dN}{dt} = -\lambda N[/tex]? What context do i use this equation?

immuno said:
No.. I've not done calculus.

so how do i solve for an equation involving [tex] \frac{dN}{dt} = -\lambda N[/tex]? What context do i use this equation?

Just so you're aware of this (in case you aren't) that you're having a problem with the mathematics, not the physics. I'm pointing this out because, not just in your case, but as often the case, students just learning physics often think that physics is "difficult", when they are actually having issues with the mathematics.

It's hard to teach you how to solve this when you haven't had calculus, because we will end up tell you how to solve it completely. I'm surprised that you can take this class without having had calculus as a prerequisite.

Zz.

dN/dt is the activity that is the number of decays in one second.Since radioactivity is a random process it may not be possible to get an exact equation for activity but let's make some assumptions:
1.Assume that the activity is proportional to N,the number of atoms?For example two moles of U 235 as twice as active as one mol of U 235.
2.Assume the activity depends on what the radioisotope is for example it seems likely that one mol of U 235 has a different activity to one mol of U 238.
If the assumptions are reasonable we can write dN/dt=-lambda *N.When the equation is then tested experimentally it is shown that it works very well if N is large.(lambda=decay constant,a property of the isotope).When you think about it it makes sense,the activity depends on what the atoms are and how many there are.The rest is maths.

1. What is half life?

Half life is the amount of time it takes for a radioactive substance to decay by half of its original amount. It is a constant value for each radioactive element and can vary from fractions of a second to billions of years.

2. What is the decay constant?

The decay constant is a measure of the rate at which a radioactive substance decays. It is represented by the symbol λ (lambda) and is inversely proportional to the half life. A higher decay constant means a shorter half life and a faster decay rate.

3. How are half life and decay constant related?

The half life and decay constant are inversely related. This means that as the half life increases, the decay constant decreases and vice versa. They are also related by the equation λ = ln(2)/t1/2, where t1/2 is the half life.

4. What is activity in relation to radioactive decay?

Activity is a measure of the rate at which a radioactive substance decays. It is represented by the symbol A and is equal to the decay constant (λ) multiplied by the amount of the substance (N). This can be expressed as A = λN.

5. How are the equations for half life, decay constant, and activity related?

The equations for half life, decay constant, and activity are all related through the concept of radioactive decay. The half life equation (t1/2 = ln(2)/λ) can be rearranged to solve for the decay constant (λ = ln(2)/t1/2). Using this value for the decay constant, we can then calculate the activity using the equation A = λN. Therefore, the three equations are all interconnected and provide different ways of understanding and calculating radioactive decay.