Mobius Transformations and Stereographic Projections

In summary, the conversation is about proving that any Mobius transformation on \mathbb{C}_{\infinity} has 1 or 2 fixed points. The participants discuss the relationship between Mobius transformations and rotations on S^2, and the conditions for a Mobius transformation to correspond to a rotation or have attractive fixed points. The person seeking help eventually figures it out on their own.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

Hi all - I've been battering away at this for an hour or so, and was hoping someone else could lend a hand!

Q: Show that any Mobius transformation T not equal to 1 on [itex]\mathbb{C}_{\infinity}[/itex] has 1 or 2 fixed points. (Done) Show that the Mobius transformation corresponding (under the stereographic projection map) to a rotation of S^2 through a nonzero angle has exactly 2 fixed points [itex]z_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2[/itex], where [itex]z_2=\frac{-1}{z_1^*}[/itex]. If now T is a Mobius Transformation with 2 fixed points [itex]z_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2[/itex] satisfying [itex]z_2=\frac{-1}{z_1^*}[/itex], prove that either T corresponds to a rotation of S^2, or one of the fixed points, say [itex]z_1[/itex], is an attractive fixed point (i.e. for z not equal to [itex]z_2[/itex], [itex]T^nz_1 \to z_1[/itex] as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex]).

Now I believe I've shown that the Mobius transformation corresponding to a rotation is mapped to mobius transformations with 2 fixed points, but I'm unsure as to how to show that [itex]z_2=\frac{-1}{z_1^*}[/itex], and I'm extra extra unsure how to show the later point about attractive fixed points! Please do reply, the more you can help me the better, and I certainly do need it! Many thanks, Mathmos6

Physics news on Phys.org
No worries, I got it sorted on my own anyways.

1. What is a Mobius transformation?

A Mobius transformation, also known as a Mobius map or conformal map, is a type of function that maps points in the complex plane to other points in the complex plane. It is defined by a formula of the form f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers with ad - bc ≠ 0.

2. What is the significance of Mobius transformations?

Mobius transformations are significant in mathematics because they have many important properties, such as being conformal (meaning they preserve angles), being invertible, and being able to map any circle or line to another circle or line. They are also used in many areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, geometry, and number theory.

3. What is a stereographic projection?

A stereographic projection is a type of map projection that projects points on a sphere onto a plane. It is commonly used in geography to create flat maps of the Earth. In mathematics, stereographic projections are used to visualize and study the properties of Mobius transformations.

4. How are Mobius transformations and stereographic projections related?

Mobius transformations and stereographic projections are closely related because a stereographic projection can be seen as a special case of a Mobius transformation. Specifically, a stereographic projection is a Mobius transformation that maps the entire sphere (except for one point) to the complex plane. This connection allows us to use stereographic projections to visualize and understand the behavior of Mobius transformations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Mobius transformations and stereographic projections?

Mobius transformations and stereographic projections have many real-world applications, including in cartography, computer graphics, and physics. In cartography, they are used to create accurate maps of the Earth's surface. In computer graphics, they are used to create 3D animations and simulations. In physics, they are used to model the behavior of particles and waves in various fields, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.