I want to solve this eq. (k(x)*g(x)')'=p*g(x)

• Thread starter simplex
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an equation involving a known periodical function, a constant, and an unknown function. The question is whether there is a method to determine if all the values of the constant must be real. The speaker is interested in solving the equation if the constant is real, but not as interested if it could also be complex. They then ask for a proof that the operator corresponding to the equation is hermitian, as this would confirm that all values of the constant must be real.
simplex
I have the following equation:

(k(x)*g(x)')'=p*g(x)

where
k(x) = k(x+T) -- k(x) is a known periodical function of period T, k(x) real, x real, T real.
p = some constant that have to be determined.
g(x) = an unknown function.

Question: Is there a method that can tell from the beginning that all the values of p should be real?

If p is always real I will try to solve the equation if p could also be complex the equation will not be of so much interest for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can somebody prove that the operator:

H = d/dx(k(x)*d/dx) corresponding to the above mentioned equation, Hg(x)=p*g(x), is hermitian?

I understand that if you prove this then all the values of p must be real.

1. What is the meaning of this equation?

This equation is a second-order ordinary differential equation that involves two functions, k(x) and g(x), and one parameter, p. The equation is asking for a solution to the derivative of the product of k(x) and the derivative of g(x) to equal p times g(x).

2. What is the purpose of solving this equation?

Solving this equation can help determine the relationship between the functions k(x) and g(x) and the parameter p. It can also help in finding a function that satisfies the given condition.

3. What are some common techniques for solving this equation?

Some common techniques for solving this equation include separation of variables, integration by parts, substitution, and using specific methods for different types of k(x) and g(x) functions.

4. Can this equation be solved analytically?

It depends on the functions k(x) and g(x) and the parameter p. In some cases, it is possible to find an analytical solution, while in others, numerical methods may be needed to find an approximate solution.

5. How can this equation be applied in real-world situations?

This equation can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in modeling and predicting the behavior of systems that involve two related functions and a parameter, such as the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population.