Make this definition of pi work

In summary, Pi is a mathematical constant representing the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is used in various mathematical equations and formulas, and is important because it is a fundamental constant and an irrational number. To use it, one must understand its properties and apply it in relevant calculations. Pi also has numerous real-life applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics.
Gerenuk
I quite like the following definition of pi and I wonder which minimal algebraic rules are needed to make this definition work?

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(1+\frac{a}{n}\right)^n=1[/tex]
[tex]\therefore |a|=2\pi k[/tex]

(For example, are there algebras more general than complex numbers, where this works?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in the quaternions [itex]e^{2\pi u} = 1[/itex] where [itex] u [/itex] is any quaternion with [itex] u^2 = -1[/itex]

So quaternions probably also work.

Any more abstract algebra? Hmm, what do I need? I need addition, multiplication, scalar division, limiting process and modulus, right? What has to be fulfilled as to yield pi then?

1. What is the definition of pi?

The definition of pi is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is approximately equal to 3.14159.

2. How is pi used in mathematics?

Pi is used in various mathematical equations and formulas, particularly those involving circles and trigonometric functions. It is also used in geometry, physics, and engineering.

3. Why is pi important?

Pi is important because it is a fundamental mathematical constant that appears in many mathematical and scientific calculations. It is also an irrational number, meaning it has an infinite number of decimal places and cannot be expressed as a fraction.

4. How can you make the definition of pi work?

To make the definition of pi work, you can use it in mathematical equations and calculations where it is applicable. It is also important to understand the concept of pi and its properties in order to use it correctly.

5. Are there any real-life applications of pi?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of pi, such as in architecture, engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate the circumference and area of circles, which are commonly found in structures and objects in our daily lives.