Current flowing through a copper wire

In summary, to determine the minimum diameter of a copper wire that can carry 20 A of current without dissipating more than 2 watts per meter, the equation A=ρL/R can be used to calculate the radius, which comes out to be approximately 1.046 mm. The density of charge carriers in copper can be found using the equation d=(density of copper metal) x (Avogadro's number) x (atomic mass of copper)/100 cm^3, which gives a result of 8.535 x 10^23 charge carriers per cubic meter. The drift velocity of electrons in a copper wire with a radius of 1 mm and carrying 1 A of current can be found using the equation v=
sweetdion

Homework Statement

1. The wiring in a house must have low enough resistance so that it does not heat up too much while current is flowing. A particular copper wire needs to carry 20 A of current, and it must not dissipate more than 2 watts of power per meter of length. The resistivity of copper is ρ=1.72 x 10^-8 Ωm

a) What is the minimum diameter that the wire must have so that it doesn't heat up too much?

b) The density of copper metal is 9 g/cm^3, and the atomic mass is 63.5 g/mole. Avagadro's number is 6.022 x 10^23 atoms/mole. Assume one charge carrier per atom and determine the density of charge carries n (number of charge carriers per cubic meter) in copper.

c) A copper wire with circular cross-section with radius r=1mm carriers 1 A of current. Determine the drift velocity of the electrons in the wire.

Homework Equations

A=ρL/R A=π r^2 P = I^2R R=V/I P=V^2/R
v=I/nqA

The Attempt at a Solution

a) from A = pL/R
r=squareroot(A/pi)=squareroot(pL/PiR)=1.046 mm

b) d=9g/cm^3 x 1mol/63.5g x 6.022x10^23 charge carriers/1mol x 100 cm^3/1 m^3 = 8.535 charge carriers/m^3

c) r = .001 m
I = 1 A
v= I/nqA = 1/(8.545)(1.6x10^-19)(1.72x10^-8*1 m/.001m)= 4.257 m/s

I was unsure about the coversion from cm^3 to m^3

Also, I'm unsure about the length I am supposed to use. Should it be 1 m because the power was given to me in watts/meter?

Thanks in advance,
--sweetdion

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetdion said:

Homework Equations

A=ρL/R A=π r^2 P = I^2R R=V/I P=V^2/R
v=I/nqA

The Attempt at a Solution

a) from A = pL/R
r=squareroot(A/pi)=squareroot(pL/PiR)=1.046 mm
We were not given a value for R; you have left out some steps in how you got to your 1.046 mm answer.

b) d=9g/cm^3 x 1mol/63.5g x 6.022x10^23 charge carriers/1mol x 100 cm^3/1 m^3 = 8.535 charge carriers/m^3
You have neglected the 1023 part of Avogadro's number. Also, your units conversion is wrong:

If (1 m) = (100 cm), then
(1 m)^3 = (100 cm)^3 = ____ cm^3 ?

c) r = .001 m
I = 1 A
v= I/nqA = 1/(8.545)(1.6x10^-19)(1.72x10^-8*1 m/.001m)= 4.257 m/s

I was unsure about the coversion from cm^3 to m^3

Also, I'm unsure about the length I am supposed to use. Should it be 1 m because the power was given to me in watts/meter?

Thanks in advance,
--sweetdion
Yes, it is easiest to use 1 m and 2 W to solve the problem. Alternatively, using 2 m and 4 W, or 3 m and 6 W, etc., should give the same answer, since they all use 2 W per m.

to find R i did R=V/I=0.1V/20A = .005Ω then I plugged it into get the right answer

thanks for your help!

1. What is the significance of current flowing through a copper wire?

Current flowing through a copper wire is significant because it allows for the transfer of electrical energy. This is essential for powering electrical devices and systems.

2. How is current measured in a copper wire?

Current is measured in a copper wire using a unit called amperes (A), which is a measure of the amount of electric charge passing through the wire per unit of time. This can be measured using a device called an ammeter.

3. How does the size of a copper wire affect the flow of current?

The size of a copper wire, also known as its gauge, can affect the flow of current. A thicker wire will have less resistance and therefore allow for a larger current to flow through, while a thinner wire will have more resistance and allow for a smaller current.

4. What factors can impact the flow of current through a copper wire?

The flow of current through a copper wire can be impacted by factors such as the length and thickness of the wire, the temperature of the wire, and the material it is made of. These factors can affect the resistance of the wire and therefore impact the flow of current.

5. How does the flow of current in a copper wire differ from other materials?

Copper is a highly conductive material, meaning it allows for the flow of current with minimal resistance. This makes it a preferred material for electrical wiring. Other materials, such as rubber or plastic, may have higher resistance and therefore limit the flow of current.