How do I solve a series-parallel circuit with a 40V power supply?

• Thread starter kai92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: Next, you need to find the voltage drops across the resistors. To do this, you need to know the current through each resistor. After that, you can calculate the voltage drops across the circuit and find the current through the last resistor. In summary, Kirchhoff's Laws are applied to the circuit, and by knowing the current through each resistor, you can find the voltage drops across the circuit and find the current through the last resistor.
kai92

Homework Statement

Can anybody help me solve this circuit?I want to find V1, V2, V3, I1, I2, I3.Power supply is 40V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• electric.png
    electric.png
    3 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
it's not very difficult to work with.
Please show part of your soln or some views.

you may first find V2.

Well,I don't know what to do at all.I hv found the total resistance,15.975 Ω ,and total current,2.504A.Is it correct?What to do next?Step by step if possible...

kai92 said:
Well,I don't know what to do at all.I hv found the total resistance,15.975 Ω ,and total current,2.504A.Is it correct?What to do next?Step by step if possible...

Those are close to the values I got: 16.265 ohms and 2.459 amps.

I would next find the voltage across the 11 ohm resistor.
From there you can determine the voltage drops across the 3 legs of your circuit, which will lead you immediately to I1.
And although they don't ask for it, you should then find the current through the 12 ohm resistor.
Knowing the currents through the 11, 12, & 13 ohm resistors will yield the current through the 14 ohm resistor. That will give you V3.

kai92 said:

I don't think the equivalent resistance is 15.975 but 16.265

Sorry, I made a typing error.
You may first find "V3", by calculating equivalent resistance of the very right part.
then you may find V3 by the ratio of resistance

Can you tell me what are the final answers?Pls include the steps/calculation to get the answers.

Welcome kai92 to the PF forums!
The people here are trying to help you. However you may want to review part 1 of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379" to appreciate what is expected of those requesting assistance.
You could start by telling us what you know about Kirchhoff's Laws applied to circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a series-parallel circuit?

A series-parallel circuit is a combination of both series and parallel circuits, where some components are connected in series while others are connected in parallel. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices and allows for a balance between voltage and current.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series-parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series-parallel circuit, you can use the formula: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the resistances of the individual components. You can also use the parallel resistance formula: Rtotal = R1 * R2 / (R1 + R2) for components connected in parallel.

3. Can I apply Ohm's Law in a series-parallel circuit?

Yes, you can apply Ohm's Law in a series-parallel circuit. However, you will need to use the equivalent resistance calculated from the circuit to determine the current and voltage.

4. What happens when one component in a series-parallel circuit fails?

If one component fails in a series-parallel circuit, it can affect the entire circuit. In a series circuit, the entire circuit will stop functioning. In a parallel circuit, the other components will continue to function, but the total resistance of the circuit will increase.

5. How can I troubleshoot a malfunctioning series-parallel circuit?

To troubleshoot a malfunctioning series-parallel circuit, you can use a multimeter to check the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. You can also check for loose connections and damaged components. It may also be helpful to redraw the circuit and double check the connections to ensure they are correct.