Could u suggest some useful books

• Thread starter supreabajaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about requesting book recommendations for various subjects in mechanical engineering. Recommendations were given for books on thermodynamics, strength of materials, theory of machines, physical metallurgy, manufacturing processes, and machine drawing. Some recommended titles include "Engineering Thermodynamics" by Rogers and Mayhew, "Solid Mechanics" by I H Shames, "Manufacturing processes" by DeGarmo, "Mechanics of Materials" by Beer and Johnston, and "Driving Force: The Natural Magic of Magnets" by James D. Livingston. The last book was suggested as a book that sparks imagination and interest in science.
supreabajaj
Could u please suggest some useful books!

Can anybody please suggest sm good mechanical engineering books on the following subjects-
1. Thermodynamics
2. Streangth of Materials
3. Theory of Machines
4. Physical Metallurgy
5. Manufacturing processes
6. Machine Drawing
I need books which cover the concepts in detail nd which are good for self-study... Plzz help me out guys... I dnt have much time left for the final exams...

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thermodynamics: Engineering Thermodynamics by Rogers and Mayhew
If I were to write praise for this book it woukd turn out to be a long article but you can get a glimpse of its features at http://www.amazon.com/dp/0582045665/?tag=pfamazon01-20---indeed a ten star book.
Actually it's about Thermal Sciences rather than it's subset thermodynamics. So if you have this one you can refer to it for many of the courses!
Others:
Solid Mechanics by I H Shames
Manufacturing processes DeGarmo

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks a lot yr... I am really indebted to you...THANKS...

Mechanics of Materials, Beer and Johnston

Hey sorry i don't want to send your question in a different directions but its been a few days lol. Are there any engineering book that are like some science books where it just kinds sparks your imagination and interest?

Physics High,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674216458/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This book, Driving Force, the natural magic of magnets is a science book which sparks your imagination and interest, but it's definitely not chock full of formula etc.. In fact, I'll send you my copy no charge if you want to pm me your address.

1. What are some recommended books on a specific topic?

There are many useful books on a variety of topics, so it depends on what you are interested in. Some popular categories include science, history, self-help, and fiction. It may be helpful to do some research and read reviews to find the best books for your specific interests.

2. Can you suggest some books for beginners in a certain field?

Yes, there are many great books for beginners in various fields. Some popular options for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking for astronomy, "Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari for history, and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle for self-help.

3. Are there any books that you personally found useful?

As a scientist, I have found "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman to be a very insightful book on human behavior and decision-making. "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot is also a fascinating read about the history and ethics of medical research. However, everyone's preferences and interests may vary, so it's important to explore different books and find what resonates with you.

4. Are there any books that are considered must-reads for scientists?

There are many books that are considered must-reads for scientists, but some popular choices include "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, and "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn. These books have had a significant impact on the field of science and are often referenced in research and discussions.

5. Can you recommend any books for developing critical thinking skills?

A popular book for developing critical thinking skills is "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman, as mentioned before. "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan is also a great read for understanding how to think critically and evaluate evidence. Additionally, reading a diverse range of books and actively questioning and analyzing the information can also help develop critical thinking skills.