Can blind people see darkness or is it an absence of perception?

• Thread starter lem09
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of blindness and whether or not it is possible to truly experience an absence of sight. The speaker shares their belief that even if someone is blind, they will still see "something" in some form. They also bring up the idea of death and how even after death, there may still be some form of "seeing" or perception. The conversation ends with a link to a discussion forum for further exploration of the topic.
lem09
So it seems that blindness is reported as either something like darkness or an inability to think about what we are seeing??

I have an interest in this question because I think that once someone is born they will always see "something". There's apparently a popular secular conception of dying that says something like this, see here http://www.naturalism.org/death.htm for some background.

I think I can imagine being unable to think about an absence of light but I guess that I believe that can only happen if we integrate what we see into some other system; sort of it's still there but we only perceive it in relation to another modality?? Perhaps a blind person can see darkness but not be aware of it except as something that messes up their hearing.
Which might be similar to seeing things out of the corner of your eyes without being aware of them, might that still effect what we are explicitly seeing, perhaps directing our visual attention?

I just don't think that we can have qualia of any sort without representing something spatially as we do vision... has anyone had a dream where they smelt or heard something but looking back they can say that they were seeing nothing not even darkness? The idea, to me, seems an impossible one.

In fact this idea extends to something like the secular idea of death I've mentioned: "I" will always see something even if it's just darkness even after I'm dead. Call me crazy if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. Why do blind people see blackness?

Blindness is a condition where a person lacks the ability to see, and this can be caused by a variety of factors such as damage to the eye, optic nerve, or brain. Without functioning visual receptors, the brain receives no input, resulting in a perception of blackness or darkness.

2. Do all blind people see the same type of blackness?

No, the experience of blindness and the perception of blackness can vary greatly among individuals. Some people who are blind may have some residual vision or light perception, while others may see only darkness. Additionally, the perception of blackness can also be affected by other factors such as age, type of blindness, and individual brain processing.

3. Can blind people see anything at all?

It depends on the individual's level of blindness and the cause of their condition. Some people who are blind may have light perception or the ability to distinguish between light and dark, while others may have no visual perception at all. Additionally, some individuals may have other senses, such as touch or hearing, that help them navigate and understand their surroundings.

4. Is it possible for blind people to regain their vision?

Again, it depends on the cause and severity of the blindness. Some types of blindness can be treated with medical intervention, such as surgery or medication, while others may be permanent. In some cases, assistive technologies, such as glasses or implants, can help improve vision in people with certain types of blindness.

5. Can blind people dream in images or colors?

Dreams are a product of our imagination and subconscious mind, so people who are blind may still experience vivid and visual dreams. However, their dreams may be different from those of sighted individuals and may incorporate other senses, such as sound or touch, instead of visual elements.