Solving Complex Analysis Problem: Calculating Index of a Curve

In summary, the conversation is about solving a complex analysis problem involving an integral and a function that is analytic on a disk. The individual is unsure if they need to use direct substitution or take advantage of the function being holomorphic. They also discuss making a substitution and using the argument principle to prove that the given expression is the index number. They also confirm the correctness of their calculations for delta(t).
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

This is complex analysis by the way. Here's the problem statement:http://i.imgur.com/wegWj.png"

I'm doing part b, but some information from part a is carried over.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't know if I'm being asked to show it via direct substitution or if I should make use of the fact that the function is analytic on the disk. Or maybe if the integrand is supposed to simplify to the typical expression for the index (or winding number):

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z-z_0}[/tex]

If it is the case that I have to take advantage of the function being holomorphic, then wouldn't the integral be equal to zero though? Since f'(z) and f(z) are holomorphic(or analytic) in the disk?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

In the integral

[tex]\int_\gamma{\frac{f^\prime(z)}{f(z)}dz} [/tex]

What do you get when you substitute u=f(z)?

I would get [tex]\int_\gamma \frac{1}{u}du[/tex] which would be 2pi i so all I have left is just one. So it helps, but I've yet to prove that it's the index. I'd expect a constant to be left.

I don't know if I have to incorporate the information relating to gamma and the composition f of gamma of t.

Not quite, if you make the substitution, you would end up with [tex]\int_{f\circ \gamma}{\frac{1}{u}du}[/tex] (you'll have to adjust the path to). So we have that

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma}{\frac{f'(z)}{f(z)}dz}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{f\circ \gamma}{\frac{1}{z}dz}[/tex]

But the right is the winding number of [tex]f\circ \gamma [/tex] around 0, which is what you had to show...

Holy mackerel! So most of the information that was given in the problem was a distraction? Let me get this straight, we showed by substitution that the integrand is actually 1/u du, which allowed us to, well, show that the given expression is indeed the index number.

Did I get that right?

Lastly, for calculating the delta(t), I get [tex]e^{5it}[/tex] and [tex]e^{-3it}[/tex]. Are these correct?

Thanks.

Yes... But the result you've proven is very important tho (even if its proof isn't very hard). It even has a name: the argument principle.

The delta(t) seems to be correct...

1. What is the index of a curve in complex analysis?

The index of a curve in complex analysis is a measure of how many times the curve winds around the origin in the complex plane. It is also known as the winding number or the degree of the curve.

2. How is the index of a curve calculated?

The index of a curve can be calculated by finding the sum of the angles made by the curve with the positive real axis at each point where the curve intersects the unit circle. This sum will be equal to the index of the curve.

3. What is the significance of the index of a curve in complex analysis?

The index of a curve is important in complex analysis because it helps to classify and analyze curves. It can determine if a curve is closed or open, and it is useful in solving problems involving integration and differentiation of complex functions.

4. Can the index of a curve be negative?

Yes, the index of a curve can be negative if the curve winds around the origin in a counterclockwise direction. This indicates that the curve has a negative net rotation around the origin.

5. How is the index of a curve related to the winding number?

The index of a curve is equal to the winding number divided by 2π. This means that the winding number is a multiple of the index, with the index representing the number of times the curve winds around the origin in a full rotation.