A table with distance varying legs

• Thread starter blindvalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the conversation discusses a research project evaluating the strengths of different materials under a vertical force. The experiment involves cutting a length of material to uniform thickness and placing it on two pivots, with a third pivot applying force to the midpoint. The question is whether a 1 cm thick, 50 cm long material with a midpoint at 25 cm would experience the same forces as a 1 cm thick, 60 cm long material with a midpoint at 30 cm. The equation f = m*d is mentioned but there is uncertainty around the varying distance "a" and its impact on the results. The answer is that the total forces may differ, but the results would not be false.
blindvalk

Homework Statement

First off, this isn't really a homework problem but something I needed clarification on. For background information, I am currently working on a research project as an assistant in an academic setting. What we are evaluating is strengths of various materials when subjugated to a vertical force.

The experiment is conducted in the following method:

1. a length of material is cut to uniform thickness (but not length) and then placed across two pivots. (see diagram below)

2. a third pivot vertically applies force to the midpoint of the material while we measure various data.

______material______
^ |--a--|--a--| ^

where a = distance from pivot to midpoint.

My question is if there is a 1 cm thick 50 cm long material A, whose midpoint would be 25 cm from either side is put under a force of 15N at the midpoint be experiencing the same forces as a material B which is 1 cm thick and 60 cm long (a = 30 cm)?

Homework Equations

f = m*d?

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I understand this is a basic conceptual problem, but I can't wrap my mind around it. I would understand of the distance "a" was set uniform throughout to act as a comparison, but if "a" varies between specimens, wouldn't the total forces acting upon it be differing? And therefore causing false results?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer is no, but I'm not sure how to explain it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What is a table with distance varying legs?

A table with distance varying legs is a type of table where the legs are adjustable in length, allowing the table to be set at different heights or angles. This can be useful for various purposes, such as for people with different heights or for uneven surfaces.

How does a table with distance varying legs work?

A table with distance varying legs typically has telescoping legs that can be extended or retracted to adjust the height. Some tables may also have legs that can be angled or locked in place at different lengths. This allows for flexibility in how the table is set up for various uses.

What are the benefits of a table with distance varying legs?

There are several benefits to a table with distance varying legs. It can accommodate people of different heights or be adjusted to suit different purposes, such as a standing or sitting desk. It can also be used on uneven surfaces or for outdoor activities where the ground may not be level.

Are there any drawbacks to a table with distance varying legs?

One potential drawback of a table with distance varying legs is that it may not be as stable as a fixed-height table. The telescoping legs may also require more maintenance over time. Additionally, these types of tables may be more expensive than traditional tables.

What are some common uses for a table with distance varying legs?

A table with distance varying legs can be used in a variety of settings, such as in offices, classrooms, and homes. It can also be useful for outdoor activities like camping or picnics. Some people may also use it as a makeshift standing desk or for physical therapy exercises.