Dont understand physics work question?

In summary, a person applies a constant force to an object of mass 20 kg, causing it to move horizontally at a constant speed of 0.20 m/s through a distance of 0.80 m. The question asks for the work done on the object, and the answer is 0J. This is because the force counteracting gravity is perpendicular to the displacement, and the object is moving at a constant speed with no friction. Therefore, there is no change in kinetic energy and no work done on the object.
elpermic

Homework Statement

its for me midterm..

a person applies a constant force on an object of mass 20 kg that causes the object to move horizontally at a constant speed of 0.20 m/s through a distance of 0.80m . What is the work done on the object?

A) 0J
B) 10J
c)16J
d)160jNow the answer is 0J. But I don't understand why.. THe professor says its 0J and his reason is "Force counteracting gravity is perpendicular to the displacement."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

is it because the question is saying what is the work done by the object?? because it doesn't say what's the work done on the object by the person..

Physics news on Phys.org
elpermic said:
Now the answer is 0J. But I don't understand why.. THe professor says its 0J and his reason is "Force counteracting gravity is perpendicular to the displacement."
Given what your professor said, I gather we are supposed to ignore friction. So, ignoring friction,...

The object is moving at a constant speed. What is the acceleration of an object moving at a constant speed?

Applying Newton's second law, what is the force on an object that is moving at a constant speed (and remember, for this problem we are assuming 0 friction)?

Thus the work done on that object is...?

1. What is the basic concept of physics?

The basic concept of physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. Why do some people find physics difficult to understand?

Physics can be challenging to understand because it deals with abstract concepts and mathematical equations that may not be intuitive for everyone. It also requires a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Is physics necessary for everyday life?

While we may not think about it, physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives. Many inventions and technologies that we use, such as electricity, cars, and computers, are based on the principles of physics.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

One way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice solving problems and equations. It is also helpful to try to visualize and relate the concepts to real-life situations. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

5. Can anyone learn physics?

Yes, anyone can learn physics with dedication and effort. While some people may have a natural aptitude for the subject, everyone has the potential to understand and appreciate the fundamental laws that govern our universe.