Theory type Question of Static Equilibrium

In summary, a sign is attached to a pin joint and also to a spring. The other end of the spring is attached to a spring joint as well. The spring is stretched from its initial position and creates normal forces between the pin joint and the sign.
AVQueen87
Hi everyone!

I just have a quick question about the theory behind a concept in statics.

Problem:
I was given a question that states that a sign is attached to a pin joint and also to a spring. The other end of the spring is attached to a spring joint as well. They hang there in static equilibrium and the spring is stretched from its initial position. I am to find the spring constant, k.

The picture looks like the one http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...JST4T&sig=AHIEtbR68GGRJvMjfoLJqjT_T1_ms1pCSg" in problem 41 (page 220) but the joints are instead pin joints.

Attempt:
I know that there will be normal forces between the pin joint and the sign. I also know how to find the tension force in the spring that is attached to the sign and

Question: This is more of a fundamental type thing I guess. My professor says that there are normal forces at both pin connections. Why is the connection between spring and the pin joint creating normal forces? I originally thought that normal forces would only occur between a rigid body and connection (like the pin connector and the sign). Any clarification on this theory would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi AVQueen87! Welcome to PF! :smile:
AVQueen87 said:
My professor says that there are normal forces at both pin connections. Why is the connection between spring and the pin joint creating normal forces? I originally thought that normal forces would only occur between a rigid body and connection (like the pin connector and the sign).

At a contact point between two things, there will always be a https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=73" , and if the contact is loose (eg no glue or screws) that will be a normal force if there is no friction.

The spring is presumably connected to the pin joint by a hook on the end of the spring …

why would there not be a normal force between the pin joint and the hook? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm... I see now. So, for the majority of question in textbooks they just draw a spring/string/whatever-type-of-connector directly to the wall which makes it fixed, not like a pin connection. That's probably where I drew the (wrong) assumption that normal forces occur on rigid bodies - because I've never seen a scenario like this one!

Because this spring was connected to a pin joint, it will behave just like anybody connected to a pin joint... OK!

Thanks for the clarification, tiny-tim :) I can let my mind rest now, lol!

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state where all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration or movement of the object. This means that the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

The main difference between static and dynamic equilibrium is that in static equilibrium, there is no movement of the object, while in dynamic equilibrium, the object is moving at a constant velocity. Additionally, in static equilibrium, the forces acting on the object are balanced, while in dynamic equilibrium, the object may be experiencing unbalanced forces, but they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero.

3. What are the conditions for static equilibrium?

The conditions for static equilibrium are that the net force acting on the object must be zero, and the net torque (rotational force) must also be zero. This means that all forces must be balanced, and there must be no tendency for the object to rotate.

4. How do you calculate the net force in static equilibrium?

To calculate the net force in static equilibrium, you need to consider all the forces acting on the object and use vector addition to determine their overall effect. If the net force is zero, then the object is in static equilibrium. This can be represented mathematically as ΣF = 0, where ΣF is the sum of all forces.

5. Can an object be in static equilibrium if it is moving?

No, an object cannot be in static equilibrium if it is moving. In static equilibrium, there is no net force acting on the object, which means there is no acceleration and the object is not moving. If the object is moving, there must be a net force acting on it, which means it is not in static equilibrium.