Truss-Member Forces- Method of sections

In summary, the conversation is about using the method of sections to calculate the forces on the members of a truss. The equations used are Fx=0, Fy=0, and M=0. The person has already completed half of the problem but is having difficulty with the numbers becoming too large. They are looking for a program called "Truss Analysis Module" that can help with the calculations. The values they currently have are listed and they are double checking them. The person is also under a lot of stress due to other exams and tests.
twenty5

Homework Statement

Calculate the truss' member forces using method of sections.

Homework Equations

Fx=0
Fy=0
M (any point) = 0

[PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4482/haalp.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have half of it done, but the numbers are beginning to get outrageously rediculous... I just want to double check the numbers with someone... my colleagues at school have a program "Truss Analysis Module" program that can calculate the forces on the members and show whether it is in tension or compression. Does anyone know what program this is? It is a free one apparently T_T

Anyways, I just want to double check with the values I currently got

a = 36.457kN ( Compression )
f = 84.562kN ( Compression )
e = 72.096kN ( Tension )
b = 109.878kN (Tension)
g = 74.837kN ( Compression )

I started from the very left side of the truss

It's due tomorrow :( really tough week with all the exams and tests T_T

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm starting to come in from the right end, and it's starting to match up.. I think I'm doing it correctly ^^. I like to talk to myself thanks guys.

1. What is the method of sections used for in truss analysis?

The method of sections is a technique used in truss analysis to determine the internal forces in the individual members of a truss structure. It involves cutting a section of the truss and isolating it from the rest of the structure to analyze the forces acting on that specific section.

2. How does the method of sections work?

The method of sections works by using the principle of equilibrium to determine the internal forces in specific members of a truss. By isolating a section of the truss and applying the equations of equilibrium, the unknown forces can be solved for using basic algebraic equations.

3. When is the method of sections the most useful in truss analysis?

The method of sections is most useful when trying to determine the internal forces in a specific member of a truss, rather than analyzing the entire structure. It is also useful when the truss has a complex geometry or when there are multiple external forces acting on the truss.

4. What are the limitations of the method of sections?

The method of sections is limited to truss structures that are in equilibrium and have a maximum of three unknown forces at a specific section. It also assumes that the truss members are connected by ideal pins and that the load is applied only at the joints.

5. Can the method of sections be used for all types of trusses?

Yes, the method of sections can be used for all types of trusses, including simple, compound, and complex trusses. However, the complexity of the truss may affect the number of unknown forces and the difficulty of solving the equations of equilibrium.