3D Boundary Value Heat Transfer with constant flux and nonzero boundary

In summary, 3D boundary value heat transfer deals with the transfer of heat in three-dimensional systems with a constant flux and nonzero boundary. This means that the heat is being transferred at a constant rate and the boundaries of the system do not have a temperature of zero, making the analysis more complex. This type of heat transfer is commonly used in various engineering applications, such as in the design of cooling systems for electronics or in the study of heat flow in buildings. It requires the use of advanced mathematical equations and numerical methods to accurately model and predict the temperature distribution within the system.
bnay
Hello,

I'm having trouble getting started on this problem. Here's the question:

[PLAIN]http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2464/ee323assn3q3.jpg

My issue is in setting up the governing partial differential equation in 3 dimensions. What I've tried so far is setting du/dt equal to the Laplacian of u(x,y,z,t) + g(x,y). I'm not entirely sure if I can do this, though. It leads me to assume u(x,y,z,t) = X(x)Y(y)Z(z)T(t), but I'm not sure how to cancel out the inhomogeneous boundary conditions.

I know that if g were a constant I could let v = u - g, but since it isn't its derivative with respect to x and y won't go away and v will stay inhomogeneous.

Sorry if that sounds like word vomit - its late and I've been up reading textbooks that only seem to have one dimensional examples. If anybody could shed some light on how to tackle this problem I would be very thankful - I'm mostly looking for a starting point and hopefully I can take it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
timthereaper said:
If you partition u(x,y,z,t) into the sum of a "steady-state" and a "variable" portion, you might be able to make the steady state portion satisfy the nonhomogeneous boundary conditions and the variable portion satisfy the homogeneous ones. You can use a modified form for 3 dimensions of this:

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Topic:Heat_equation/Solution_to_the_2-D_Heat_Equation

See if that helps.

Thank you for your help.

Setting the steady state solution as X(x)Y(y)Z(z) has worked quite well for X and Z, but for Y it seems that I don't have enough information to solve it, since I can't eliminate X(x) and Y(y) due to the inhomogenous conditions.

I know X(x)Y(y)Z(0) = g(x,y), which implies that g(x,y)/XY is a constant, but since I don't know what g(x,y) is I can't assume X or Y are constants.

I think it's safe to say that Y(y) can't be a constant since X(x)Y'(0)Z(z) = -q(x,z)/k and Y'(b) = 0

This led me to try an exponential solution for Y, but I seem to have too many variables to eliminate.

Is there any way I can simplify this to get rid of the X and Z dependence?

1. What is the concept of 3D Boundary Value Heat Transfer?

3D Boundary Value Heat Transfer is a mathematical model used to analyze the flow of heat within a three-dimensional object with specified boundary conditions. It takes into account the dimensions, material properties, and boundary conditions of the object to determine the temperature distribution within it.

2. What is meant by constant flux in 3D Boundary Value Heat Transfer?

Constant flux refers to a situation where the rate of heat transfer remains constant at all points on the surface of an object. This means that the amount of heat flowing into and out of the object remains the same, resulting in a steady temperature distribution within the object.

3. How is nonzero boundary condition applied in 3D Boundary Value Heat Transfer?

Nonzero boundary condition means that the temperature or heat flux at the boundaries of the object is not equal to zero. This can occur when there is an external heat source or when the object is in contact with a medium of different temperature. Nonzero boundary conditions are specified in the mathematical model to accurately represent real-world scenarios.

4. What are the applications of 3D Boundary Value Heat Transfer with constant flux and nonzero boundary conditions?

This mathematical model has various applications in engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used to analyze heat flow in complex three-dimensional structures such as buildings, electronics, and industrial machinery. It is also essential in understanding heat transfer in materials processing and energy conversion systems.

5. What are the limitations of 3D Boundary Value Heat Transfer analysis?

Although 3D Boundary Value Heat Transfer is a powerful tool for understanding heat transfer in complex systems, it has some limitations. It assumes steady-state conditions, neglecting any transient effects. It also assumes that the material properties are constant and uniform, which may not be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not account for radiation heat transfer, which may be significant in certain applications.