Calculating Arc-Length Function for Smooth Curve g

• Thread starter Buri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the arc-length function is defined for a smooth curve g: [a,b] -> R^n as starting at g(t_0) and is given by s(t) = integral [t_0, t] ||dg/du|| du. The text states that this function is differentiable, with ds/dt = ||dg/du||, but it may not be immediately clear why. The norm function must be continuous for the fundamental theorem of calculus to be applied, and while dg/du is smooth and therefore continuous, the norm function may cause problems. However, if g is regular, then ||dg/du|| will also be smooth and the result follows. This can be confirmed by considering the continuity of the
Buri
I have the arc-length function defined for a smooth curve g: [a,b] -> R^n as starting at g(t_0) as:

s(t) = integral [t_0, t] ||dg/du|| du.

The text says this is differentiable, so ds/dt = ||dg/du||. But I don't see why. I know that g is smooth, but the norm causes problems and so to apply the fundamental theorem of calculus I would have to know that ||dg/du|| is continuous. If g is also regular then ||dg/du|| is smooth, so it would follow, but I don't see how this follows if g is simply smooth.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
But wait, the norm function is continuous so ||dg/du|| is continuous. Anyone confirm this?

It is not that the norm function is continuous as such, but in conjunction with the fact that the derivative of a smooth function is continuous that the result follows..

Yes of course. My problem was that I know that dg/du is smooth, hence continuous, but once you apply the norm it may not be necessarily be true that it is continuous anymore. But since the norm is continuous it does follow now as the composition of two continuous functions.

Thanks for your help!

1. How is the arc-length function for a smooth curve g calculated?

The arc-length function for a smooth curve g can be calculated by using the formula: ∫√(1+(g'(t))^2) dt, where g'(t) is the derivative of the curve function g(t).

2. Can the arc-length function be used for any type of curve?

No, the arc-length function is only applicable for smooth curves, which are curves that have a continuous derivative at every point.

3. Why is it important to calculate the arc-length function for a smooth curve?

The arc-length function is important because it allows us to calculate the length of a curve, which can be useful in various applications such as physics, engineering, and geometry.

4. How does the arc-length function relate to the curvature of a curve?

The arc-length function is directly related to the curvature of a curve. The curvature is equal to the derivative of the arc-length function with respect to the curve's parameter t.

5. Are there any limitations to using the arc-length function for calculating curve length?

Yes, the arc-length function may not always be easy to find or integrate, especially for complex curves. In some cases, numerical methods may need to be used to approximate the arc-length.