Existence of a certain increasing function

In summary, the function f is discontinuous at every rational point, but continuous at every irrational point.
gamma5772
I'm wondering if there is a monotonically increasing function with a jump discontinuity at every rational (or any other dense, countable subset of the reals). Here's a specific candidate that I've come up with:

Let [tex]g:\mathbb{Q} \cap [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] take the rational p/q (p and q coprime) to exp(-q) (or 0 if p = 0). Let [tex]f:[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]. [tex]f(x) = \sum_{q \in \mathbb{Q} \cap [0,x]} g(q)[/tex]

It is monotonically increasing and bounded, and I'm pretty sure it's well defined, but I'd just like to be sure. I also believe it is continuous at every irrational and discontinuous at every rational (which can be shown using a simple delta-epsilon proof).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having difficulty following your derivation.

Here is a simpler (I think) example.

For each rational (p) in the interval [0,1] let fp(x) = 0 for x < p and fp(x) = 1 for x ≥ p. Next arrange the rationals in some countable order p1, p2, ...
Then G(x) = ∑2-kfpk(x) has the desired property.

I didn't undestand why you chose exp(-q) in your OP, when you don't seem to be using any properties of e. I think 2^-q would be just as good.

It is monotonically increasing
obviously
and bounded
because if you sum the discontiuities including the duplicates when p and q are not coprime, the sum is bounded

I also believe it is discontinuous at every rational
obviously
and continuous at every irrational (which can be shown using a simple delta-epsilon proof).
Well, I wouldn't call it a "simple" proof, but I think it this is valid:
Let [itex]f(1) = S[/itex]. Choose [itex]\epsilon[/itex].
Then there are only a finite number of rationals [itex]q_i[/itex] whose discontinuities sum to [itex]S-\epsilon/2[/itex].
Therefore there is a finite length interval around any irrational point [itex]x[/itex] which does not contain any of the [itex]q_i[/itex].
So the function can not vary by more than [itex]\epsilon/2[/itex] in this interval
So you can find a [itex]\delta[/itex] to prove continuity at [itex]x[/itex].

1. What is an increasing function?

An increasing function is a mathematical function where the value of the output variable (usually denoted as y) increases as the input variable (usually denoted as x) increases. In other words, as the value of x increases, the value of y also increases.

2. How can we prove that a function is increasing?

To prove that a function is increasing, we can use the derivative test. If the derivative (slope) of the function is positive for all values of x, then the function is increasing. We can also graph the function and observe if the curve is rising from left to right.

3. Can an increasing function ever decrease?

No, by definition, an increasing function can never decrease. This means that for any two values of x, the corresponding values of y will always be larger for the larger value of x.

4. What are some real-life examples of increasing functions?

Examples of increasing functions in real life include the population growth of a city, the height of a growing plant over time, and the amount of money in a savings account as interest accumulates.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using increasing functions?

One potential drawback of using increasing functions is that they can be limited in their ability to accurately model complex and unpredictable systems. In some cases, other types of functions may be better suited for analyzing and predicting certain phenomena.