Become a Math Teacher: Advice on NJ Certification Options

• Thread starter Poker-face
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to pursue their goal of becoming a high school Math Teacher. They are currently taking Math courses to obtain Teaching Certification and are deciding between two options - getting a second BA in Education with a Certificate of Advanced Standing in Math, or a second BA in Math with an alternate route Teaching certificate. The decision may depend on the school district and state requirements, but a formal education program may be more competitive and demonstrate commitment to the profession.
Poker-face
Hi all. I could use some advice on how to pursue my goals. I would like to become a high school Math Teacher. My background is a little unique. I am 32 years old have already completed a degree in Political Science in 2002. Currently I am taking the Math courses necessary to get me Teaching Certification. I am from New jersey and the way Teaching Certification works here is either you can teach via the alternate route or go through a formal education program.

My question is this- What do you think would be more competitive?

1- My existing BA in Political Science with a second BA in Education with Certificate of Advanced standing in Math or

2- A second BA in Math with an alternate route Teaching certificate

Thanks for all input.

Ernie G

Physics news on Phys.org
.It really depends on the school district you are hoping to teach in. Some schools may be more impressed by your Political Science degree, and some may be more impressed by a Math degree. Ultimately, you will need to have the right certifications to teach in whichever state you are in, so make sure that you check the requirements for teaching in your state. Doing a formal education program will likely be more competitive as it shows that you have taken the time to learn the specific skills necessary to teach Math, and it demonstrates your commitment to the profession. Good luck!

1. What is the process for becoming a math teacher in New Jersey?

The process for becoming a math teacher in New Jersey involves obtaining a Bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, completing a state-approved teacher preparation program, passing the required Praxis exams, and obtaining a teaching certificate from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2. What are the different certification options for becoming a math teacher in New Jersey?

There are several certification options for becoming a math teacher in New Jersey, including the traditional route, alternate route, and provisional teacher program. The traditional route requires completion of a Bachelor's degree and teacher preparation program, while the alternate route allows individuals with a Bachelor's degree in a related field to complete a certification program. The provisional teacher program allows individuals to teach while completing certification requirements.

3. How long does it take to become a certified math teacher in New Jersey?

The length of time it takes to become a certified math teacher in New Jersey varies depending on the chosen certification route and individual circumstances. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete all requirements, including obtaining a Bachelor's degree, completing a teacher preparation program, and passing the required exams.

4. What are the job prospects for math teachers in New Jersey?

The job prospects for math teachers in New Jersey are generally positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of high school teachers (including math teachers) is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about average for all occupations. Additionally, New Jersey has a high demand for certified math teachers, which can increase job opportunities.

5. What are the requirements for maintaining a math teacher certification in New Jersey?

To maintain a math teacher certification in New Jersey, teachers must complete 100 hours of professional development every five years, including at least 20 hours in an area of mathematics. Additionally, teachers must hold a valid teaching position and have a satisfactory evaluation from their school district.