Complex Conjugate applied to operators?

In summary, the question is about why the expectation values of operators in quantum mechanics are defined as the integral of the operator sandwiched between the complex conjugate and normal wavefunction. The problem arises when trying to derive an equation for current density, where the momentum operator is also conjugated. This is due to the fact that the wavefunction and its complex conjugate are dual vectors, and the adjoint of an operator must be used when working with dual vectors. The Wikipedia article on expectation values provides a clear explanation of this concept.
Master J
I have a rather fundamental question which I guess I've never noticed before:

Firstly, in QM, why do we define the expectation values of operators as integral of that operator sandwiched between the complex conjugate and normal wavefunction. Why must it be "sandwiched" like this?

From this comes my problem. In deriving an equation for current density, I multiplied the electron velocity, which is the momentum over mass, times the density, which is the wavefunction times its complex conjugate.

Yet I have noticed that in a text, the momentum operator is ALSO conjugated. That is to say, since the momentum involves a derivative, and I have a product of wavefunctions, I use the product rule, but the second term has ih d/dx instead of the usual -ih d/dx.

Can someone shed some light on this??

Physics news on Phys.org
The Wikipedia article on the expectation value is clear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expectation_value_(quantum_mechanics)#Formalism_in_quantum_mechanics

For the second point, I guess you're trying to turn the time derivative of a wave function to the form involving the momentum operator by the Schroedinger equation. To get the time derivative of [tex]\psi^*[/tex], you need to use the complex conjugate of the Schroedinger equation. The mathematical reason that you need to conjugate the operator as well is that [tex]\psi^*[/tex] is a dual vector, and so is [tex]\frac{d \psi^{*}}{dt}[/tex]. For any operator A applying to a dual vector [tex]\langle x|[/tex], [tex]\langle x|A=\langle A^{\dagger}x|[/tex] where [tex]A^{\dagger}[/tex] is the adjoint of A.

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a mathematical concept where the imaginary part of a complex number is negated. For example, the complex conjugate of the number 3+4i would be 3-4i, where i is the imaginary unit.

2. How is complex conjugate applied to operators?

In mathematics, operators are symbols or functions that perform specific operations on inputs. Complex conjugate can be applied to operators to find their adjoints, which are operators that perform the same operation but in the opposite direction. This is useful in linear algebra and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of complex conjugate in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, complex conjugate is used to find the Hermitian adjoint of operators, which are operators that represent physical observables such as energy and momentum. The eigenvalues of these operators are real numbers, making them important for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can complex conjugate be applied to non-linear operators?

No, complex conjugate can only be applied to linear operators. Non-linear operators do not satisfy the properties required for complex conjugate, such as preserving scalar multiplication and addition.

5. How is complex conjugate related to the concept of conjugate transpose?

Complex conjugate and conjugate transpose are related but not exactly the same concept. Conjugate transpose is the operation of taking the complex conjugate of a matrix and then transposing it, while complex conjugate is the operation of negating the imaginary part of a complex number. However, in the context of operators, taking the conjugate transpose of a matrix is equivalent to finding the complex conjugate of the corresponding operator.