Learning Physics from A to A<sub>n</sub> through independent study.

In summary,The author recommends that an individual start with classical mechanics, which is a subject that is covered in a calculus-based introductory physics series. He also recommends other texts, such as a condensed matter text, thermodynamics, optics, and a mathematical physics text.
derDenker1992
Okay, so I have a fair amount of knowledge in mathematics, through calculus, and I want to study physics independently. I was told that I should start with classical mechanics. Is that right, and if so, where should I go from there. What are good books to learn from. I apologize if this is a commonly asked question, but I have been searching on the internet and have received various inconclusive answers. Thank You for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a good text that covers the first 3 semesters of a calculus-based introductory physics series. They'll usually go through a nice little overview of the various areas of physics. I would tell you that there should be a nice little list or notes throughout the text that directs you to more advanced texts, but I just looked through my Serway text and didn't see a single guide to further reading.

My university uses Serway for the introductory courses, has used Marion & Thornton for the upper division classical mechanics text and Griffiths for electrodynamics and Griffiths again for Quantum Mechanics. You'll then want a condensed matter text, thermodynamics, optics (we used Hecht), a mathematical physics text (we used Arfken), and probably a few other texts which I'm sure subsequent posters will suggest.

Pengwuino said:
Get a good text that covers the first 3 semesters of a calculus-based introductory physics series. They'll usually go through a nice little overview of the various areas of physics. I would tell you that there should be a nice little list or notes throughout the text that directs you to more advanced texts, but I just looked through my Serway text and didn't see a single guide to further reading.

My university uses Serway for the introductory courses, has used Marion & Thornton for the upper division classical mechanics text and Griffiths for electrodynamics and Griffiths again for Quantum Mechanics. You'll then want a condensed matter text, thermodynamics, optics (we used Hecht), a mathematical physics text (we used Arfken), and probably a few other texts which I'm sure subsequent posters will suggest.

Thanks very much. I'll check these out.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would highly recommend starting with classical mechanics as it provides the foundational understanding for many other areas of physics. Some good books to learn from include "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. It is also important to supplement your independent study with online resources, such as lecture videos and practice problems, to ensure a thorough understanding of the material. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or instructor who can provide feedback and answer any questions you may have. Additionally, don't be discouraged if you encounter difficulties or have to revisit certain concepts multiple times, as this is a normal part of the learning process in physics. Good luck on your independent study journey!

1. What is the best way to approach learning physics through independent study?

The best way to approach learning physics through independent study is to start by creating a study plan. This plan should include setting specific goals, creating a schedule, and gathering necessary materials such as textbooks and online resources. It is also important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, practicing problems, and seeking clarification when needed.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying physics independently?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying physics independently will vary depending on your goals and current level of knowledge. It is recommended to set a regular study schedule and aim for at least 2-3 hours of focused studying per session. However, this may differ for each individual and it is important to find a balance that works for you.

3. Can I learn physics through independent study without any prior knowledge?

Yes, it is possible to learn physics through independent study without any prior knowledge. However, it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of mathematics and scientific concepts. It is important to start with introductory materials and work your way up to more advanced topics.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics independently?

Staying motivated while studying physics independently can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting achievable goals, taking breaks, and seeking support from peers or online communities can all help to keep you motivated. It is also important to remind yourself of the reasons why you are studying physics and the benefits it can bring.

5. Are there any resources available to supplement my independent study of physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to supplement your independent study of physics. These can include textbooks, online courses, videos, practice problems, and study groups. It is important to find reliable and reputable resources that suit your learning style and needs. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or tutor can also be beneficial.