Being Forced Into Math That Is Too Difficult

• Thread starter chez_butt23
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is a freshman at a prestigious university known for its biology program. They took a math placement test and did well, but now their orientation leader is saying they can only take calculus 1. The individual is planning on talking to a counselor to see if they can bypass this requirement. They are also seeking recommendations for books to self-study pre-calculus and calculus. Some responses suggest skipping pre-calculus and going straight to calculus, while others recommend self-study with a textbook.
chez_butt23
Hi,

I have run into a bit of a problem. I am going to be freshman (Evolutionary Bio/Chinese major) at a University renown for its Bio program. I was told to take a math placement test in order to find ot what math class I was qualified for (I was planning on taking pre-calculus on the fall, so I could actually learn it before moving on to calculus). However, I did fairly decent on the test (the test was almost all basic algebra), and now my Orientation leader says that I can't take any other math besides calculus 1. I am planning on talking to a counselor soon to see if I can get around this.

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening at their university? Can anyone recommend any books that are good for teaching oneself pre-calculus and beginning calculus?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those exams are usually pretty good at telling you where you are in mathematics. I'd say you're probably as ready as most people, and calculus isn't half as hard as people say it is.

I would just stay in calculus if I were you. It's really not bad at all. Also, in my experience the actual "pre-calculus" class doesn't help a lot for calculus. And like Angry Citizen said, the test shows that you are ready. I wouldn't even say you should practice beforehand. Plus if you skip precalc, that's an extra slot in your schedule for another class!

I never took pre-calc, and I don't know any friends of mine who are science majors that took pre-calc. It's very normal to jump from advanced algebra/trig into calculus, and like the others have said: calculus I is not bad at all. You'll like it, I know I did :D

I took precalc and I can tell you from experience that if you feel comfortable with your algebra, trig and functions in general, then you should be all set. Some self study (review) would go a long way in preparing you. However, if you are not at all comfortable in those ares, you might consider trying to get into a precalc class (since that is what precalc is. There is no such thing as being 'over prepared.'

Best of luck :smile:

I think some of the people responding to you didn't read your post very carefully. You said that the test you took was almost all basic algebra. If that's true, and you are weak in trig or analytic geometry, then by all means a precalculus class would be called for.

I don't see how they can keep you from taking it, unless they have already granted you credit for it from a high school class. But if they insist, then I advise you to buy a cheap used copy of a precalculus text (I like Stewart, but any widely used text should be about the same) and work through it as fast as you can on your own. Also, most of the popular calculus text have either a "Chapter 0" or an appendix that reviews precalculus material, although not in as much detail as a full textbook.

I took precalc, and was glad I did, although in my case it was because there was a six-year gap between high school and college for military service.

Honestly, pre calc is mainly algebra and some trig. If you feel comfortable with that, you should be fine going into calc 1.

brocks said:
I think some of the people responding to you didn't read your post very carefully.

OP said "fairly decent"which is adequate for calculus I.

I think some of the people responding to you didn't read your post very carefully. You said that the test you took was almost all basic algebra. If that's true, and you are weak in trig or analytic geometry, then by all means a precalculus class would be called for.

The analytical geometry I had in school came from calculus, actually. You don't need much trig to succeed in calculus. All you need to know are the definitions and a couple of the more basic identities. Everything else related to trig can be solved through judicious use of algebraic reasoning.

How on Earth can you say that calculus is too difficult when you haven't yet taken it? Harden up and take the class.

No need to take Pre-Cal. Just go ahead and go with Calc I, you are going to need it to take it anyway and it saves you money if you don't take Pre-Cal. It is not too difficult as most people put it out to be. I taught myself Calc I before I took it in college and the book I used was Calculus by James Stewart (I am sure any edition would be fine).

chez_butt23 said:
Hi,

I have run into a bit of a problem. I am going to be freshman (Evolutionary Bio/Chinese major) at a University renown for its Bio program. I was told to take a math placement test in order to find ot what math class I was qualified for (I was planning on taking pre-calculus on the fall, so I could actually learn it before moving on to calculus). However, I did fairly decent on the test (the test was almost all basic algebra), and now my Orientation leader says that I can't take any other math besides calculus 1. I am planning on talking to a counselor soon to see if I can get around this.

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening at their university? Can anyone recommend any books that are good for teaching oneself pre-calculus and beginning calculus?

Thanks for the help.

I don't know what you mean when you say "Orientation leader," but I think you're right to pursue an academic counselor. We can't make any assumptions about your knowledge or abilities without seeing your test. Additionally, placement tests usually evaluate more than just basic algebra skills; are you sure you took the appropriate test?

Heh, when we're reduced to "man up," I think it's clear that it's down to personal opinion. If taking calculus put hair on your chest, there would be a lot fewer nerds getting wedgies.

But from a practical aspect, if you take pre-calc and you don't need it, you'll get an easy A. If you don't take it and you need it, you'll screw up your GPA, and possibly have to re-take calculus.

I am going to be freshman (Evolutionary Bio/Chinese major)...and now my Orientation leader says that I can't take any other math besides calculus 1.
Just as a side note, shouldn't your Orientation leader stick to Chinese?

Jack21222 said:
How on Earth can you say that calculus is too difficult when you haven't yet taken it? Harden up and take the class.

This is borderline useless advice. I have never taken a class on how to fly a helicopter. Maybe I should just harden up and fly the damn thing.

Saladsamurai said:
This is borderline useless advice. I have never taken a class on how to fly a helicopter. Maybe I should just harden up and fly the damn thing.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that calc 1 is both less dangerous and less difficult than flying a helicopter.

Saladsamurai said:

I didn't tell him to harden up and start doing calculus. I told him to harden up and take a class on how to do calculus.

In your example, maybe you should harden up and take a class on how to fly a helicopter if that's what you want to do.

Your analogy fails.

Just go to a website like Khanacademy.com (or similar) and make sure you know all the topics from start-precalculus. Then perhaps refresh yourself on conics and teach yourself trigonometry. Trig really isn't difficult at all. For the most part, Pre-calculus is just a refresher of algebra with the difference quotient (which you will learn more about in calculus anyway, in pre-calc they don't even explain what is is/means). Trig is the only thing you might want to really study though, fortunately there is not much "substance" to it, and you can learn it really quickly.

All the pre-calculus you need for calculus should be covered in most calculus textbooks

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I register for my classes tomorrow morning and it looks like I'm going to try to get into Math 17A (Calc for bio-majors). I have the Stewart pre-cal textbook and will begin to self study for the rest of the summer.

In response to those who are confused about the situation, I am currently at summer orientation for the College of Biological Sciences at UC Davis. Because of the fact that I could only apply as one major (I chose evolutionary bio), I have to wait until school starts before I can declare Chinese as a second major.

Any other words of advice or anecdotes from anyone?

Since you are short on time, I'd say you should concentrate on chapters 1-7.

In case my edition of Stewart differs from yours, that means to concentrate on polynomial, exponential, and logarithmic functions, and trig, because that is what most calculus classes assume from the outset. The stuff on polar coordinates, sequences and series, systems of equations, and conic sections is less essential for now, because a "calculus for bio majors" class will almost certainly begin those subjects from the ground up, if it gets to them at all. And every calc class takes you through limits.

You should get a free graphing program off the internet to help you visualize functions. One of my favorites is simply called "graph," but there are many. There are also free full-blown CAS programs like Maxima, or even expensive ones like Maple or Mathematica if your school has them, but they take a lot longer to learn, so I'd stick with a simpler one for now.

Also be aware that in the beginning of the CALCULUS text of Stewart (and perhaps others), there is a diagnostic test at the beginning, which will tell you where your weakest areas of precalc are. You might borrow that book from a friend or the library and take the test to see where you need the most work.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Thank you Brocks for the excellent advice.

My schedule is now finalized. In my first quarter, I am taking:

1. Calculus for Bio majors (4 units)
2. Workload Chemistry (More or less a "pre-chem" class) (3 units)
3. Geology of Earthquakes (2 units)
4. Early Medieval Culture (4 units)

I am lucky to have classes that I find interesting, as almost nothing was open to register for, and a lot of other freshman got lame-sounding classes. Does this sound like a good amount for a first quarter?

With the caveat that college was a long time ago for me, that sounds kind of light. When I was in school, 15 hours was considered a typical load for the average student, and if you are planning on a double major in fields as disparate as Chinese and Bio, you'll probably have to take a heavier load than average if you want to finish in 4 years. Maybe you can audit some classes you wanted to take but were full, and add one of them after people drop out and leave some vacancies.

And watch out for the geology. I never took it myself, but for some reason every girlfriend I had in college did, and it made every one of them cry. Literally. Then again, at that age I wasn't selecting for brains.

chez_butt23 said:
Thank you Brocks for the excellent advice.

My schedule is now finalized. In my first quarter, I am taking:

1. Calculus for Bio majors (4 units)
2. Workload Chemistry (More or less a "pre-chem" class) (3 units)
3. Geology of Earthquakes (2 units)
4. Early Medieval Culture (4 units)

I am lucky to have classes that I find interesting, as almost nothing was open to register for, and a lot of other freshman got lame-sounding classes. Does this sound like a good amount for a first quarter?

Does your prechem class count towards your degree? That is also something I would wonder about taking a 'pre-calc' class and why you'd be 'pushed' into Calculus - the credits just may not count.

I would also agree that 13 credits is pretty light for a semester (esspecially since you only have 1 lab class - with 2-3 lab classes that might be ok because of the time commitment). However, if you're on 10week quarters, and those units are listed as semester-hours - your classload is probably about right. If that is the case - I expect you meet for 6hr/week for your calc and midieval culture classes?

I realize that this is a bit of a light course load, but I think it is probably a good idea for me to do this first quarter to allow for adjustment to life away from home. Next quarter I will up the ante to around 15 units.

The pre-chem class does not count towards my degree, as it is run through a local Junior College on my University's campus. However, pre-calculus deos count as it is considered a college class.

I am going to try and waitlist Chinese 1 as I couldn't get in during the first registration period (I am REALLY bummed about this). Hopefully some people will drop it.

I have another question. I am seriously concerned about the curves in college. I have heard horror stories about them, but I really don't know anything else. Could some of you please explain to me what the grading curves at your schools are/were like? Thanks.

chez_butt23 said:
I have another question. I am seriously concerned about the curves in college. I have heard horror stories about them, but I really don't know anything else. Could some of you please explain to me what the grading curves at your schools are/were like? Thanks.

Hey chez_butt23.

I'm an Australian, so this will probably not apply to you, but in the courses I take (mathematics) scaling usually doesn't happen. If you ace the assessments and exams here, you get exactly what you should get. Subsequently if everyone doesn't meet the standard, they fail.

In our subject handouts, they tell you whether scaling is a standard procedure. Hopefully when you get such a handout, this should be detailed for you as it is for me.

chez_butt23 said:

Varies heavily by class. Some professors will design a test such that the average student should be able to get an A or a B if they study well. Some professors will design a test so hard that the average student will only get a 50% if they study, and only exceptional students have a shot at getting an A. On tests like that, there are several different ways to curve a grade.

Calculus 1 won't be difficult, and I think pre-calculus is actually harder, although Calculus 2 uses a lot more of your pre-calculus knowledge. It's a piece of cake compared to the beast known as Organic Chemistry.

Pre-calc at the University of Victoria is the equivalent to senior high school math. Take calculus.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am beginning to feel that calculus is the right choice for me. I took a refresher, "intermediate algebra" course in the beginning of the summer and breezed through it. Now I am in the process of chugging through the first 7 chapters like someone suggested. Although I really struggled in high school pre-cal, I barely pulled out a C- because I thought I was too cool to pay attention and do homework (we were all 16 once). But now I am finding the pre-calculus topics to be really simple and easy to understand. I just ordered my calc book and will check with that to see if I have to deal with polar coordinates etc. Thanks again everyone.

Any other anecdotes or stories about grading curves?

1. What are the signs that a student is being forced into math that is too difficult?

Some signs that a student may be struggling with math that is too difficult for them include consistently low grades, frustration or avoidance of math-related tasks, and difficulty understanding or applying concepts.

2. How can a teacher or parent determine if a student is being forced into math that is too difficult?

A teacher or parent may determine that a student is being forced into math that is too difficult by regularly monitoring the student's progress and performance in math, observing their attitude and behavior towards math, and communicating with the student about their understanding and struggles with the subject.

3. What are the potential negative effects of being forced into math that is too difficult?

Being forced into math that is too difficult can have negative effects on a student's academic performance, self-esteem, and overall attitude towards learning. It can also lead to increased stress and anxiety, which can have physical and mental health implications.

4. How can a student cope with being forced into math that is too difficult?

A student can cope with being forced into math that is too difficult by seeking help from their teacher or a tutor, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and practicing regularly to improve their understanding and skills. It is also important for the student to communicate their struggles with their teacher or parent and to not be too hard on themselves.

5. What can be done to prevent students from being forced into math that is too difficult?

To prevent students from being forced into math that is too difficult, it is important for teachers and parents to regularly assess the student's understanding and progress in math, provide appropriate support and resources, and communicate openly with the student about their needs and challenges. It is also important for the student to be placed in a math class that aligns with their abilities and learning style.