Al-W Phase Diagram: Research & Info Source

In summary, the conversation is about a person's research on the Al-W system and their search for information on how the alloy's diagram was made. They found that Clark W.D. created the diagram in 1940, but could not find any additional information or the journal it was published in. They are interested in how the diagram was made and how the phases and their compositions were determined. The final purpose of the research is to successfully create a bulk alloy with high melting temperatures. The two options for creating the alloy are either through atomic-level mixing or using a high heat flux method. The person is curious about how the diagram was originally made using experiments.
kafri09
hey all.

i am doing some research about the Al-W system.
and i wanted to find out how the diagram was made.

i searched and found who made it -

Clark W.D.: "THE ALUMINIUM-TUNGSTEN EQUILIBRIUM DIAGRAM", J. Inst. Met. 66 (1940)
271–286.

but i can't find any more info , and i cand find the journal...

anyone here can help me?

in getting the journal , in getting the info somewhere else , anything...

thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This?

Attachments

• First Google answer.png
    First Google answer.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,598
lol.

i don't need the diagram. i know how it looks , and i have it.

i am interested in how they came up with it.
who made it and how.

there's a couple ways to make these

first, the use of cooling curves by DSC can determine phase transitions. if the temperatures are too high, this method cannot produce accurate results.

second, homogenize the mixture, rapidly quench to prevent re-equilibration, and examine the phase contents from which you can deduce the phases and their compositions which are in equilibrium with each other at the quench temperature. this is most likely the method used to generate the diagram.

thx for the answer, but still...

i was kinda hoping for more information about the first diagram that was made...in 1940...
i was hoping to find the way HE did it...

the final purpose is to succesfully make a bulk from tungsten-aluminium that can holg great temp...

but i am having problems making this bulk - since the melting temp are so far away from each other...

you would have two options to create an alloy consisting of phases with different melting points

first, create your precursor materials with atomic-level mixing, eliminating the need for long diffusion distances to form a homogeneous alloy.

if this is not possible, you need a high heat flux method to rapidly heat the materials prior to volatilazation. this is the purpose of electric arc furnaces. arc melting in a copper skull will probably do the trick.

well...i was afraid the answer would be the arc...

but how did the guy in 1940 made his diagram? i now he made it in some sort of experiment...but i don't know how...

Hi, do you find the way how he did it already?

1. What is an Al-W phase diagram?

An Al-W phase diagram is a graph that shows the relationship between temperature, pressure, and composition of a mixture of aluminum (Al) and tungsten (W). It helps scientists understand the different phases that these elements can exist in, such as liquid, solid, and gas, under different conditions.

2. Why is the Al-W phase diagram important?

The Al-W phase diagram is important because it provides valuable information for materials scientists and engineers working with aluminum and tungsten alloys. It helps in predicting the behavior of these alloys under different conditions, such as during manufacturing processes, and aids in designing new materials with desired properties.

3. How is the Al-W phase diagram determined?

The Al-W phase diagram is determined through experimental research and data analysis. Scientists perform various tests and measurements, such as heating and cooling samples of different compositions of Al and W and observing their behavior, to gather data. This data is then plotted on a graph to create the phase diagram.

4. What are the different phases shown in the Al-W phase diagram?

The different phases shown in the Al-W phase diagram include liquid, solid, and gas phases. These phases can further be divided into different regions based on the composition of Al and W. For example, in the solid phase, there can be regions of pure Al, pure W, and mixtures of the two elements.

5. How is the Al-W phase diagram used in research and industry?

The Al-W phase diagram is used in research and industry to understand the behavior of aluminum and tungsten alloys and to develop new materials with desired properties. It is also used in quality control to ensure the consistency of alloy composition during manufacturing processes. Additionally, the phase diagram is used to troubleshoot any issues that may arise during production and to optimize the performance of these alloys in various applications.