Solving My Copper Electrode Problem with TPD

In summary: Thank you. In summary, the issue with the lack of current in the TPD-coated copper electrode system is due to the large work function difference between the two materials. To address this issue, a layer of a material with a lower work function, such as cesium or potassium, could be used on top of the copper electrodes. Additionally, using a different material for the electrodes, such as gold or silver, may also be beneficial. There are also compounds, such as cesium carbonate, that can be used to shift the Fermi energy level upwards on silver electrodes. Further experimentation may be necessary to determine the best solution for your specific system.
Steve1979
Hi,

I have a problem with copper electrodes. I spin-coat TPD on them and due to differences in work function of the copper(4.7eV) and TPD(5.4eV) I do not get almost any current from such a system. You can take a look at TPD here http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Area_of_Interest/Europe_Home/Germany.html
just type in the CAS number 65181-78-4. It is also worth mentioning that TPD is a photoconductor. Similar system just with gold electrodes worked quite good (work function for gold 5.1eV). My question is what can I do to shift the Fermi energy level upwards. There must some kind of a compound that deposited on top of silver shifts its energy levels. At least I hope it exists)) Thanks for all the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. After looking into the properties of copper and TPD, it is clear that the work function difference is causing the lack of current in your system. The work function is a measure of the energy required to remove an electron from a solid to the vacuum level, and a higher work function means it is more difficult to remove an electron. Therefore, in your case, the TPD molecules are not able to transfer electrons to the copper electrodes due to the large work function difference.

One solution to this problem could be to use a thin layer of a material with a lower work function, such as cesium or potassium, on top of the copper electrodes. This would effectively lower the work function of the copper and allow for better electron transfer from the TPD molecules. Alternatively, you could also try using a different material for the electrodes, such as gold or silver, which have closer work functions to TPD.

In terms of shifting the Fermi energy level upwards, there are indeed compounds that can be deposited on top of silver to shift its energy levels. One example is cesium carbonate, which has been shown to increase the work function of silver by about 0.5 eV. However, it is important to note that these compounds may also have an effect on the properties of TPD, so further experimentation and testing may be necessary.

I hope this information helps and good luck with your research. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hi there,

I can understand your frustration with the work function differences between copper and TPD causing issues with your electrode system. One potential solution could be to use a thin layer of a compound such as PEDOT:PSS (poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) polystyrene sulfonate) on top of your copper electrodes. This compound has a higher work function (around 5.2-5.3eV) and has been shown to successfully improve the performance of organic photovoltaic cells by shifting the Fermi energy level upwards. It is also commonly used as a hole transport layer in organic electronic devices. You can easily find this compound at chemical suppliers such as Sigma Aldrich or Alfa Aesar. I hope this helps and good luck with your experiments!

What is the purpose of TPD in solving a copper electrode problem?

TPD, or temperature programmed desorption, is a technique used to study the surface properties and reactivity of materials, including copper electrodes. By heating the electrode to different temperatures and analyzing the gases that are released, TPD can provide information about the surface coverage, binding strengths, and reaction pathways of adsorbates on the electrode surface, which can help identify and address issues with electrode performance.

How does TPD work?

In TPD, the temperature of the electrode is gradually increased while a carrier gas flows over it. As the temperature increases, the adsorbed species on the electrode surface begin to desorb and are carried away by the gas flow. The desorbed species are then analyzed by a mass spectrometer, allowing for the identification and quantification of the adsorbates. By varying the temperature ramp rate and carrier gas flow, different information about the adsorbates can be obtained.

What types of copper electrode problems can be solved with TPD?

TPD can be used to address a variety of electrode issues, such as poor adhesion of the electrode to the substrate, low conductivity, or poor surface coverage by adsorbates. It can also provide insights into the reaction mechanisms and kinetics of electrode processes, which can aid in optimizing electrode performance.

Are there any limitations to using TPD for solving copper electrode problems?

While TPD is a powerful tool for studying electrode surfaces, it does have some limitations. For example, TPD only provides information about the surface properties of the electrode, and not the bulk properties. Additionally, TPD requires a clean and well-defined surface, so any contaminants or surface irregularities may affect the results.

How can TPD results be interpreted and applied to solve copper electrode problems?

Interpreting TPD results requires a thorough understanding of the principles of surface science and electrochemistry. The results can provide information about the surface coverage, binding strengths, and reaction pathways of adsorbates on the electrode surface, which can then be used to identify and address specific electrode issues. By optimizing the electrode surface properties, TPD can ultimately improve the overall performance of the electrode.