Sliding object against air resistance, working out when object comes to rest

Expert summarizerIn summary, the problem involves a sledge with initial velocity and mass moving horizontally with a net force solely due to air resistance. The velocity equation v=(mv0)/(m+tkv0) is correct, but to find the point where the sledge will come to a standstill, we need to set the velocity to 0 and solve for the time (t) it takes for this to happen. However, in this case, the time would be equal to infinity, meaning the sledge will never completely stop due to the constant force of air resistance acting on it.
dbatten

Homework Statement

A sledge of mass m = 85 kg has initial velocity v0 = 45 m/s and is moving horizontally along a straight line. The net force acting on the sledge is solely due to air resistance and is given by F = −k v2, where the constant is given by k = 1.2 kg/m. Find where the sledge will come to a stand still.

Homework Equations

I worked out that the velocity is given as v=(mv0)/(m+tkv0).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting the velocity=0 but obviously that gives no answers. I then tried to differentiate the velocity to get the acceleration but I don't think this is the right route to go down.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion and I'm happy to help you find the solution to this problem.

Firstly, I want to clarify that the equation you have derived for the velocity is correct. However, in order to find the point where the sledge will come to a standstill, we need to set the velocity to 0 and solve for the time (t) it takes for this to happen.

Therefore, we have:

0 = (m*v0)/(m + t*k*v0)

Multiplying both sides by (m + t*k*v0), we get:

0 = m*v0

This means that the sledge will come to a standstill when the time (t) is equal to infinity. In other words, it will never come to a complete stop due to the constant force of air resistance acting on it.

I hope this clarifies your doubts. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How does air resistance affect the speed of a sliding object?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of a sliding object. As the object moves, it collides with air molecules, causing a drag force that slows down the object's speed. The faster the object is moving, the greater the air resistance will be, ultimately causing the object to come to rest.

2. What factors influence the amount of air resistance on a sliding object?

The amount of air resistance on a sliding object is influenced by several factors, including the object's surface area, shape, and speed. Objects with larger surface areas and unconventional shapes will experience greater air resistance, while objects with smoother surfaces and slower speeds will experience less air resistance.

3. How can you calculate the force of air resistance on a sliding object?

The force of air resistance can be calculated using the equation F = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * A * C, where ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, A is the object's cross-sectional area, and C is the drag coefficient. The drag coefficient is a value that depends on the object's shape and surface properties.

4. What role does gravity play in the motion of a sliding object with air resistance?

Gravity is a constant force that pulls objects towards the Earth's surface. In the case of a sliding object with air resistance, gravity acts in the downward direction, while air resistance acts in the opposite direction, ultimately causing the object to slow down and come to rest.

5. How can you use the concept of terminal velocity to determine when a sliding object will come to rest?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air. As an object slides against air resistance, it will eventually reach its terminal velocity, where the drag force and gravity are balanced. At this point, the object will no longer accelerate and will continue to move at a constant speed until it comes to rest.