Need some help on Circuit modeling(1 sample)

• Thread starter genxium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit modeling problem with a serial circuit sample. The equations and initial conditions for the problem are provided, but the person is unsure about how to solve it using an algorithm and wants some tips. They mention that they have tried using i_{12}=-i_{21} to reduce the equations, but are still facing difficulties with the remaining 2nd order differential equations. They ask for recommendations for tutorials on numerical solutions for multiple unknown functions' differential equations.
genxium
I'm learning circuit modeling recently, and got stuck by a simply serial circuit sample(shown in the attachment), here're equations I wrote for the sample, but I have no idea what initial conditions and algorithm I can use to solve it, could anyone give me a hand or some tips?

[tex]i_{21}+{\int_0}^t \frac{V_3-V_1}{L} d\tau =0[/tex]
[tex]i_{12}+\frac{GND-V_2}{R} =0[/tex]
[tex]{\int_0}^t \frac{V_1-V_3}{L} d\tau + C \cdot (\frac{dGND}{dt}-\frac{dV_3}{dt}) =0[/tex]
[tex]C \cdot (\frac{dV_3}{dt}) + \frac{V_2-GND}{R}=0[/tex]

where GND=0 V is constant, I see that [itex]i_{12}=-i_{21}[/itex] can be used to reduce the equations, but then the remaining equations are 2nd order diff equations, how do computers solve this?

[tex]{\int_0}^t \frac{V_2-V_1}{L} d \tau = \frac{-V_2}{R}[/tex]
[tex]{\int_0}^t \frac{V_1-V_3}{L} d\tau + C \cdot -\frac{dV_3}{dt} =0[/tex]
[tex]C \cdot (\frac{dV_3}{dt}) + \frac{V_2}{R}=0[/tex]

Attachments

• Serial_Circuit.JPG
    Serial_Circuit.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I just read some tutorial of numerical solutions, but the easily found materials are all about ordinary diff equations of only 1 unknown function, could anyone tell me some tutorial that shows the idea to multiple unknown functions' diff equation(numerical solution)?

jim hardy said:
i guess you're stuck at integrating those diads like (V2 - V1) and (V1 - V3) ?]

Uhm... I don't think this is the main issue here, take derivatives of these diff equations, then

[tex]\frac{V_2-V_1}{L}=-\frac{dV_2}{R \cdot dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_1-V_3}{L}+C \cdot -\frac{d^2V_3}{dt^2}=0[/tex]

[tex]C \cdot \frac{dV_3}{dt}+\frac{V_2}{R}=0[/tex]

and want to get numerical solutions for [tex]V_1(t),V_2(t),V_3(t)[/tex].

1. What is circuit modeling?

Circuit modeling is the process of creating a mathematical representation or simulation of an electronic circuit. It allows engineers and scientists to analyze and predict the behavior of a circuit before physically building it.

2. Why is circuit modeling important?

Circuit modeling is important because it allows engineers to test and optimize their designs without having to physically build and test each iteration. This saves time, resources, and money in the development process.

3. What are some common techniques used in circuit modeling?

Some common techniques used in circuit modeling include Kirchhoff's laws, Thevenin's theorem, and nodal analysis. Other techniques may include using simulation software such as SPICE or MATLAB.

4. How accurate are circuit models?

The accuracy of a circuit model depends on the complexity of the circuit and the accuracy of the data used to create the model. In general, simpler circuits with ideal components will have more accurate models, while more complex circuits with non-ideal components may have less accurate models.

5. Can circuit models be used to design and build real circuits?

Yes, circuit models can be used to design and build real circuits. However, it is important to note that circuit models are not perfect representations of real circuits and may require adjustments or modifications during the physical building process.