What is the purpose of <-i> in a complex number subgroup?

In summary: To the OP: you can attach the word document in a post if you want.I am fairly new so I didn't mean to bother anyone. If that's how this comes across apologies. I have not used latex so thought sending file will be quicker. That's all.
foreverdream
Well I generally haven an idea about subgroup of a group and generators. But I fail to understand following:
({1,-1,i,-i},X)
I can see
<1>={1}
<-1>={-1,1}
<i>={i,-1,-i,1}
But simply have no idea about <-i>
How can you work with -i?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would get more responses if you could explain your terminology. < >, { , , , }, etc.

Calculate [itex]-i[/itex], [itex](-i)^2[/itex], [itex](-i)^3[/itex], and so on...

Yes but that's what I don't know how to because -i is imagery number that's is - sq rt of 1? Isn't it ?

foreverdream said:
Yes but that's what I don't know how to because -i is imagery number that's is - sq rt of 1? Isn't it ?

The multiplication rule for complex numbers is clear:

[tex](a+bi)(c+di)=(ac-bd)+(bc+ad)i[/tex]

by definition.

Ok i will try and see if I nail this. Will get back to you thanks foe guiding

Not much luck. Basically I need to work out subgroups generated by this group and I am going all mad in sign area

foreverdream said:
Not much luck. Basically I need to work out subgroups generated by this group and I am going all mad in sign area

you already know that -i = i3, right?

and you already know that i4 = 1 as well, correct?

so (-i)2 = (i3)2 = i6 = (i4)(i2) = i2 = -1.

now try to deduce what (-i)3 and (-i)4 should be.

Oh I worked it out thanks. But I have another question. I would like to attached a typed word doc it's easy then typing all Maths. Do you have e mail I can talk to you directly ? If u don't mind.

foreverdream said:
Oh I worked it out thanks. But I have another question. I would like to attached a typed word doc it's easy then typing all Maths. Do you have e mail I can talk to you directly ? If u don't mind.

my policy (i can't speak for other forum members), is to respond to the first private message in order to request that people ask their questions on the forum. if someone persists, i block them.

i don't mean to be harsh, but that's the way i do things. if you want to post an image file, there are ways to do that on these forums (use the "Advanced" tab when posting, and be sure to preview your post to make sure you have done so correctly).

"math typing" is handled on these forums through Latex. there is a stickied guide to Latex HERE:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

Deveno said:
my policy (i can't speak for other forum members), is to respond to the first private message in order to request that people ask their questions on the forum. if someone persists, i block them.

It's ok to report people who bother you. The behaviour is unacceptable.

To the OP: you can attach the word document in a post if you want.

I am fairly new so I didn't mean to bother anyone. If that's how this comes across apologies. I have not used latex so thought sending file will be quicker. That's all.

1. What is a complex number subgroup?

A complex number subgroup is a subset of the complex numbers that forms a group under multiplication. This means that the subgroup contains elements that can be multiplied together and the result is always another element within the subgroup.

2. How is a complex number subgroup different from a regular subgroup?

A complex number subgroup is different from a regular subgroup because it involves complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. Regular subgroups, on the other hand, are subsets of real numbers that form a group under addition or multiplication.

3. What are some examples of complex number subgroups?

Some examples of complex number subgroups include the set of all complex numbers with a fixed modulus (absolute value), the set of all complex numbers with a fixed argument (angle), and the set of all roots of a complex number.

4. How are complex number subgroups used in mathematics?

Complex number subgroups are used in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and number theory. They are particularly useful in solving polynomial equations and studying symmetry in geometric figures.

5. Is the set of all complex numbers a subgroup?

No, the set of all complex numbers is not a subgroup because it does not have a single element that can act as an identity element (an element that when multiplied with any other element, results in that same element) and it does not contain all the inverses of its elements.