Ion naming confusion with the bi prefix

In summary, there is confusion surrounding the use of the "bi" prefix to denote the existence of a proton in front of an oxyanion. While it is clear that [HCO_{3}]^{-} can be called both bicarbonate and hydrogen carbonate, it is unclear which protonated version of phosphate and arsenate ions should be referred to as "biphosphate" and "biarsenate", respectively. The use of "bi" for diprotic acid salts that have only been neutralized halfway may be outdated and not applicable to phosphates.
Bipolarity
Ion naming confusion with the "bi" prefix

I am little confused on when you use the "bi" prefix to denote the existence of a proton in front of an oxyanion.

For example, I know that [tex][HCO_{3}]^{-}[/tex] is called bicarbonate as well as hydrogen carbonate.

A problem arises when I try to define the various protonated versions of the phosphate and arsenate ions.

[tex]PO_{4}^{3-}[/tex] is phosphate...
[tex][HPO_{4}]^{2-}[/tex] is hydrogen phosphate if I am not wrong...
[tex][H_{2}PO_{4}]^{-}[/tex] is dihydrogen phosphate if I am not wrong...

But which of the above three would be referred to as the "biphosphate" ion??

I assume an analagous situation works for the arsenate ion? [tex]AsO_{4}^{3-}[/tex]

Chemistry news on Phys.org

"Bi"is outdated, as far as I know it was used for diprotic acids salts whenever they were neutralized only halfway (so it won't make sense for phosphates). But I can be wrong.

1. What is the meaning of the "bi" prefix in ion naming?

The "bi" prefix in ion naming indicates that the ion has a charge of +2, meaning it has two more protons than electrons in its outermost energy level.

2. How can the "bi" prefix cause confusion in ion naming?

The "bi" prefix can cause confusion because it is also used in the names of molecules, such as bicarbonate and biotin, which have different meanings than the "bi" prefix in ion naming.

3. Are there any other elements or prefixes that are commonly confused with the "bi" prefix in ion naming?

Yes, the "bi" prefix is often confused with the element bismuth and the prefix "bis-", which means twice or two.

4. How can I avoid confusion when using the "bi" prefix in ion naming?

To avoid confusion, it is important to carefully read the context in which the "bi" prefix is used. If it is referring to an ion, it indicates a charge of +2, but if it is used in a molecule name, it may have a different meaning.

5. Is there a specific rule for using the "bi" prefix in ion naming?

There is no specific rule for using the "bi" prefix in ion naming. It is simply a naming convention used to indicate a charge of +2. However, it is important to be aware of potential confusion and use the prefix carefully in scientific communication.