Prove GCD(a+b,a-b) = 1 or 2

• Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the GCD of (a+b, a-b) is either 1 or 2, given that GCD(a,b) = 1. The attempt at a solution involves using the fact that 2 is a common factor between the sum and difference of (a+b, a-b), but this is only true for some pairs of numbers. The expert suggests that if d>2, then in order for d to divide (2a, 2b), it must also divide (a,b), which is impossible. Therefore, d<=2. Finally, it is mentioned that the Euclidean algorithm may be helpful in solving GCD problems.
teroenza

Homework Statement

Given that GCD(a,b)=1 , i.e. they are relatively prime, show that the GCD(a+b,a-b) is 1 or 2.

Homework Equations

am+bn=1 , for some integer m,n.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using k(a+b)+L(a-b)=1 or 2, but got nowhere. So I said, if d is the common divisor of (a+b,a-b), d divides the sum or difference of the two.

(a+b)+(a-b)=2a

(a+b)-(a-b)=2b

so d divides either if these. 2 is a common factor between the sum and difference, so I initially thought 2 is then a common factor of (a+b,a-b). I have tried inserting numbers and this is incorrect for some pairs. For example (a,b)=(3,2), and correct for others (3,1). I am not seeing how to differentiate these two cases.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you can say is if d>2, then in order for d to divide (2a,2b), d (odd d) or d/2 (even d) must divide (a,b), which is impossible, so d<=2.

I was able to get it by multiplying am+bn=1 by two, and saying that d then divides 2. 2 is prime, and thus d must be 1 or 2. This has not been verified by grading, but is what i am submitting.

Your proof is close to correct; really all that's missing is correctly reflecting upon what you've done.

You've shown that, if d divides GCD(a+b,a-b), then d divides GCD(2a,2b) = 2. This is enough to answer the problem.

And because this was only an "if P then Q" type statement, you should expect the possibility that Q could be true, but P not.

If you want to go further and predict exactly when you get 1 and when you get 2, there are at least two things to try:
  • Use the fact you already know the GCD is 1 or 2, and devise an alternate way to directly test if 2 is the case
  • Try refining your argument -- the Euclidean algorithm is often useful for GCD problems, even when working with symbolic arguments instead of explicit numbers

1. What is the definition of GCD?

The Greatest Common Divisor (GCD) of two integers is the largest positive integer that divides both of them without leaving any remainder.

2. How do you prove that GCD(a+b,a-b) = 1 or 2?

There are several methods to prove this, but one way is to use the Euclidean algorithm. First, we can rewrite a+b and a-b as 2a and 2b, respectively. Then, we can use the fact that GCD(2a, 2b) = 2 * GCD(a, b). This means that if the GCD of a and b is 1, then the GCD of 2a and 2b will also be 1. However, if the GCD of a and b is 2, then the GCD of 2a and 2b will be 2. Therefore, GCD(a+b, a-b) can only be 1 or 2.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this proof?

Sure, let's take a=10 and b=6. The GCD of 10 and 6 is 2. Therefore, GCD(10+6, 10-6) = GCD(16, 4) = 4. However, if we use the rewritten forms of 2a and 2b, we get GCD(20, 12) = 4 * GCD(10, 6) = 4 * 2 = 8. This shows that the GCD of a+b and a-b can change depending on the GCD of a and b, but it will always be either 1 or 2.

4. Are there any other ways to prove this statement?

Yes, there are other methods such as using prime factorization or induction. However, the concept of using the Euclidean algorithm is a commonly used and straightforward approach.

5. Does this proof hold true for all values of a and b?

Yes, this proof holds true for all positive integers a and b. It is a general property of GCD that can be applied to any two integers, regardless of their values.