Required to prove that ∫f(x)dx[b, a] =∫f(x−c)dx [b+c, a+c]

• Thread starter jodecy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the statement ∫()[, ] =∫(−) [+, +], where f is a real valued function integrable over the interval [a, b]. The user assumes that the antiderivative of f(x-c) is F(x-c) and asks if this is a valid assumption. Another user points out that it needs to be proved using the chain rule or substitution. The original poster also mentions that the forum may not display their post correctly for some users.
jodecy

Homework Statement

required to prove that
∫()[, ] =∫(−) [+, +]

where f is a real valued function integrable over the interval [a, b]

Homework Equations

∫() [, ]=()−()

The Attempt at a Solution

∫() [b, a]=()−()

∫(−) [+, +]=(+−)−(+−)=()−()
∴∫()[, ] =∫(−) [+, +]

right i placed the interval in the [] brackets

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

You just assumed that the antiderivative of f(x-c) is F(x-c). Why is that true?

i believe it was given in a lecture i had so i assumed is that a wrong assumption?

jodecy said:
i believe it was given in a lecture i had so i assumed is that a wrong assumption?

It's not a wrong assumption. It just needs to be proved. If F'(x)=f(x), why is F'(x-c)=f(x-c)? It's easy, but you should say why. Use the chain rule. In other language, they may expect you to prove this using the substitution u=x-c. Why is dx=du?

Last edited:
You are probably not aware, but the way you posted makes your post unreadable to at least XP Windows users using Chrome, IE & Opera, attachment shows what they see. It looks little bit better under Vista, but is still barely readable.

I have corrected thread subject.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 458

What does the notation ∫f(x)dx[b, a] mean?

The notation ∫f(x)dx[b, a] represents the definite integral of the function f(x) over the interval [b, a]. This means that the integral is being evaluated from the lower limit b to the upper limit a.

What does it mean to prove that ∫f(x)dx[b, a] =∫f(x−c)dx [b+c, a+c]?

To prove that ∫f(x)dx[b, a] =∫f(x−c)dx [b+c, a+c] means to show that the definite integral of the function f(x) over the interval [b, a] is equivalent to the definite integral of the function f(x-c) over the interval [b+c, a+c].

Why is it important to prove that ∫f(x)dx[b, a] =∫f(x−c)dx [b+c, a+c]?

Proving that ∫f(x)dx[b, a] =∫f(x−c)dx [b+c, a+c] is important because it demonstrates a property of definite integrals known as translation invariance. This means that the value of the integral remains the same even when the function is translated horizontally by a constant amount.

What are the steps to prove that ∫f(x)dx[b, a] =∫f(x−c)dx [b+c, a+c]?

The steps to prove that ∫f(x)dx[b, a] =∫f(x−c)dx [b+c, a+c] are as follows:
1. Rewrite the integral on the left side as ∫f(x)dx[b, a] = ∫f(x)dx[0, a] - ∫f(x)dx[0, b]
2. Use the substitution u = x-c in the first integral on the right side, giving ∫f(x-c)dx[0, a]
3. Use the substitution u = x-c in the second integral on the right side, giving ∫f(x-c)dx[0, b]
4. Rewrite the integral on the right side as ∫f(x-c)dx[b+c, a+c] = ∫f(x-c)dx[a+c, a+c] - ∫f(x-c)dx[b+c, b+c]
5. Simplify the integrals on the right side to get ∫f(x)dx[b, a] = ∫f(x-c)dx[b+c, a+c], proving the original statement.

Can this property of definite integrals be extended to any constant c, not just horizontal translation?

Yes, this property of definite integrals can be extended to any constant c, not just horizontal translation. This is known as the general translation property of definite integrals, which states that the value of the integral remains the same even when the function is translated horizontally or vertically by a constant amount.