Conceptual Question about Mechanical Energy

In summary, mechanical energy is not conserved in a head-on collision between two cars of equal mass and equal speed, as kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy. Similarly, when a bicycle rider stops pedaling and the bicycle coasts to a stop, mechanical energy is not conserved due to the presence of friction. However, it should be noted that total energy is conserved in both scenarios.
jayadds
Hi,

I was just wondering, is mechanical energy conserved when two cars of equal mass and moving at equal speed collide head-on and in the process both come to rest?

I'm inclined to say it isn't conserved because kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy (e.g. heat and sound) during the collision.

And how about when the bicycle rider ceases to pedal and her bicycle coasts along the path until it comes to rest? Is mechanical energy conserved there? I think because of friction, it isn't conserved...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is not a vector quantity, it's a scalar. Each car has KE before the collision, and after the collision when the dust has settled each can be seen to have zero KE, so there is not much that has been conserved. :wink:

... unless a wheel went into orbit, or something...

jayadds said:
Hi,

I was just wondering, is mechanical energy conserved when two cars of equal mass and moving at equal speed collide head-on and in the process both come to rest?

I'm inclined to say it isn't conserved because kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy (e.g. heat and sound) during the collision.

And how about when the bicycle rider ceases to pedal and her bicycle coasts along the path until it comes to rest? Is mechanical energy conserved there? I think because of friction, it isn't conserved...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks.

In the car collision, some's converted into sound, but for the purposes of this discussion, the energy's turned into heat.

Same with the bicycle.

Note that total energy is conserved here, but mechanical energy isn't.

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion or position. It can be further divided into two types: kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy of position).

2. How is mechanical energy conserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, mechanical energy is conserved when there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. Kinetic energy is dependent on the mass and velocity of an object, while potential energy is dependent on the mass and position of an object.

4. How does mechanical energy relate to work?

Mechanical energy is closely related to work, as work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. When work is done on an object, its mechanical energy will change, either by increasing or decreasing.

5. Can mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy, sound energy, or electrical energy. This can happen through processes like friction, where mechanical energy is converted into thermal energy, or through a generator, where mechanical energy is converted into electrical energy.