Working out voltage drop and current flowing through a circuit

In summary, The speaker has wired up a LED circuit in series of 3 with a resistor of 1000 ohms 1.6W on each 3, which is being supplied via a 12 V battery. The circuit is wired up to a PIR, and when movement is detected, the LED's will light up. The speaker is looking for help in calculating the current and voltage drop in the circuit, which includes 84 white LED's connected in 28 strings, each containing a resistor and 3 LEDs in series. The voltage across the LEDs is 10.2 volts, while the voltage across the resistor is 1.8 volts. The desired current is 10 mA, so the resistor's value should
SummersLCFC
I have just wired up a LED circuit in series of 3 with a resistor of 1000 ohms 1.6W on each 3. Its being supplied via a 12 V battery. The circuit is wired up to a PIR which when detects movement the LED's will light up.

I need some help working out how much current will be running throughout the circuit and its voltage drop?

I have 84 White LED's connect. Each LED being 3.4 V @ 10mA

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have a 12 volt supply and across it you have 28 strings, each containg a resistor and 3 LEDs (all white, 3.4 volt ones) in series.

The strings are in parallel. Is this all correct?

If so, then the voltage across the LEDs is 3 times 3.4 volts or 10.2 volts. So the voltage across the resistor is 1.8 volts.

The current you want, 10 mA, is flowing through this resistor, so its value must be V / I or 1.8 volts / 10 mA or 180 ohms.
LEDs usually run at a maximum of 20 mA so you could do this by making the resistor 1.8 volts / 0.02 amps or 90 ohms. You could use 100 ohms since these are easy to find. 0.25 watt resistors would be OK.
(1.8 volts times 0.02 A = 36 mW)

If your 12 volt supply is really higher than 12 volts, you should recalculate the resistor sizes to get more accurate results.

The total current would be 28 times the current through each string. So, 280 mA if it was 10 mA and 560 mA if it was 20 mA.

1. How do I calculate voltage drop in a circuit?

To calculate voltage drop, you need to know the resistance of the circuit (in ohms) and the current flowing through it (in amps). Then, simply multiply the resistance by the current to get the voltage drop (in volts). This can be represented by the formula V = IR.

2. What is the significance of voltage drop in a circuit?

Voltage drop is important because it represents the energy lost as electrical current travels through a circuit. This can impact the overall performance and efficiency of a circuit, and it is important to keep voltage drop within acceptable limits to prevent damage to components.

3. How do I measure current flowing through a circuit?

To measure current, you will need a multimeter, which is a device that measures electrical current, voltage, and resistance. Set the multimeter to measure amps, then connect the meter in series with the circuit. The current flowing through the circuit will be displayed on the multimeter.

4. What factors can affect voltage drop and current in a circuit?

Several factors can affect voltage drop and current in a circuit, including the resistance of the circuit components, the length and thickness of the wires, and the type of material used in the wires. Temperature can also impact these values, as well as the type of power source being used.

5. How can I reduce voltage drop in a circuit?

To reduce voltage drop, you can use thicker wires with lower resistance, minimize the length of the wires, and use materials with better conductivity. It is also important to properly size the power source for the circuit to ensure it can supply enough voltage to overcome any resistance in the circuit.