High Pressure Cryogenic Dusty Plasma

In summary: Overall, there are multiple potential solutions to increase the charge of the dust particles and keep them suspended in high pressures. In summary, the speaker is studying the coulomb structure of acrylic particles in He plasma at low pressure, but at higher pressures, all particles fall onto the electrode. They are testing high pressure in preparation for using liquid He, but are struggling to keep the particles suspended. Possible solutions include increasing the charge on the particles through adjusting the power source and adding an electric field, as well as reducing the amount of particles being generated.
ramen
i'm studying the coulomb structure of 0.3um acrylic particles in He plasma. At low pressure, around 30 Pa, the negatively charged dust particles can be suspended above the negative RF electrode. However, at around 100-150Pa, all particles have fallen onto the electrode itself, making it impossible to analyze.
i'm testing high pressure because i will be using liquid He soon, and its hard to get pressure of liquid He lower than, say 100Pa.

is there any way to increase the charge of the dust particles so that they stay suspended even in high pressure? I've tried decreasing the size of the rf electrode and increasing the size of the ground electrode, but the difference was too small.

this is probably confusing, ask me questions and i can explain.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
One potential solution could be to use a different power source for the RF electrode. If you increase the voltage of the RF electrode, this should increase the charge on the dust particles, and thus help them stay suspended in higher pressures. You could also try adding an electric field around the RF electrode, which should increase the charge on the dust particles even further. Additionally, you could try to reduce the amount of dust particles being generated, which will help keep them suspended for longer in high pressures.

1. What is high pressure cryogenic dusty plasma?

High pressure cryogenic dusty plasma is a state of matter that occurs when a gas is ionized and contains both charged particles and micron-sized particles of dust. This type of plasma typically exists at low temperatures and high pressures, making it unique from other types of plasma.

2. How is high pressure cryogenic dusty plasma created?

High pressure cryogenic dusty plasma can be created through a variety of methods, such as applying an electric field to a gas, using lasers to heat and ionize a gas, or through collisions of high-energy particles. The specific method used depends on the desired properties and applications of the plasma.

3. What are the potential applications of high pressure cryogenic dusty plasma?

High pressure cryogenic dusty plasma has a wide range of potential applications, including in materials processing, energy production, and environmental remediation. It can also be used in research to study the properties of plasmas and their interactions with dust particles.

4. What are the challenges in studying high pressure cryogenic dusty plasma?

One of the main challenges in studying high pressure cryogenic dusty plasma is creating and maintaining the necessary conditions for this type of plasma to exist. This often requires specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, the interactions between the charged particles and dust particles can be complex, making it difficult to fully understand and control the plasma.

5. How can high pressure cryogenic dusty plasma be used for space exploration?

High pressure cryogenic dusty plasma has potential applications in space exploration, such as in propulsion systems, energy generation, and protection from high-speed space debris. It can also be used to simulate the conditions of space in a laboratory setting, allowing for better understanding of the effects of plasma in space environments.