Explaining the Inclusion of Minus Sine in the Heisenberg Hamiltonian Definition

In summary, the choice of sign in the definition of Hamiltonian is determined by the physics of the system. The sign can be either positive or negative, depending on whether the spins want to align or anti-align, respectively. However, the convention is to use a positive sign for ferromagnetic systems and a negative sign for antiferromagnetic systems.
matematikuvol
Why is minus sine in definition of hamiltonian

[tex]H=-\sum_{i,j}J_{i,j}(S_{i}^+S_{j}^-+S_i^zS_j^z)[/tex]

Why not?

[tex]H=\sum_{i,j}J_{i,j}(S_{i}^+S_{j}^-+S_i^zS_j^z)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The choice of sign is determined by the physics. If the spins want to align (ferromagnetic) then you should have H = |J| S*S while if the spins want to anti-align (antiferromagnetic) then H=-|J|S*S is correct. Of course, you can always write H=-J S*S and then set J>0 for ferro and J<0 for anti-ferro. That's just a convention.

1. What is the Heisenberg Hamiltonian?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation of the interactions between magnetic moments in a system. It is used to describe the behavior of magnetic materials, such as ferromagnets, antiferromagnets, and spin glasses.

2. Who developed the Heisenberg Hamiltonian?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian was developed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1928. Heisenberg was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1932 for his contributions to the development of quantum mechanics, including the Heisenberg Hamiltonian.

3. What is the significance of the Heisenberg Hamiltonian?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is significant because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of magnetic materials at the quantum level. It has been used to make predictions about the properties of materials and has been confirmed by experimental results.

4. What are the key components of the Heisenberg Hamiltonian?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian includes terms for the exchange interaction between magnetic moments, the Zeeman interaction with an external magnetic field, and the anisotropy of the magnetic moments. These terms are represented by mathematical operators that act on the spin states of the particles in the system.

5. How is the Heisenberg Hamiltonian used in research?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is used in research to study the properties and behavior of magnetic materials. It is often used in theoretical models to make predictions about the magnetic properties of materials, which can then be tested through experiments. Additionally, the Heisenberg Hamiltonian is used in the development of new technologies such as magnetic storage devices and spintronics.