Some in U.S. voting with their feet

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voting
In summary, Christopher Key is leaving Bellingham, Washington because of the re-election of George W. Bush. He loves the United States, but he is concerned about the direction the country is heading. He would like to see every student graduate from high school knowing and respecting the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He also believes that the United States does good things, and leaving would make him not a part of them. The hard questions he faced after the election led him to decide to stay in the US.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
VANCOUVER, British Columbia Christopher Key knows exactly what he would be giving up if he left Bellingham, Washington.

"It's the sort of place Norman Rockwell would paint, where everyone watches out for everyone else and we have block parties every year," said Key, a 56-year-old Vietnam War veteran and former magazine editor who lists Francis Scott Key, who wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner," among his ancestors.

But leave it he intends to do, and as soon as he can. His house is on the market, and he is busily seeking work across the border in Canada. For him, the re-election of George W. Bush was the last straw.

"I love the United States," he said as he stood on the Vancouver waterfront, staring toward the Coastal Range, which was lost in a gray shroud. "I fought for it in Vietnam. It's a wrenching decision to think about leaving. But America is turning into a country very different from the one I grew up believing in." [continued]
http://iht.com/bin/print_ipub.php?file=/articles/2005/02/06/news/refuge.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Approximately 45-50 million people did not vote for either Bush or Kerry, and they just didn't vote.

Bush only got about 36% of the elligible vote.

It does not help to walk or run away from a problem. One must take a stand and do one's best to change the system for the better.

You have a long battle ahead. For us, there is the reality of time.

I would start by making sure that every student who graduates from high school has a clear understanding of, and due respect for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. When everyone understands that these alone define everything the US has ever been, then you will have a beginning.

Ivan Seeking said:
You have a long battle ahead. For us, there is the reality of time.

I would start by making sure that every student who graduates from high school has a clear understanding of, and due respect for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. When everyone understands that these alone define everything the US has ever been, then you will have a beginning.

How about those kids who are swearing in? They take an oath to support and defend the constitution but they never read it?!?:uhh:

Instead, they just take orders. Sad and dangerous!

Any thoughts on the Iran invasion?

I try not to think about it.

Really glad to hear people voting with their feet and caring that much !

If your leader can talk with his arse, people can vote with their feet ! :rofl:

I guess that is simpler than leading a campaign for change.

I would never just leave the US; well, until my right to a fair and speedy trial was removed. Which it was. Did the supreme court do enough to stop what bush/ashcroft started? They certainly didn't do it fast enough.

Some of the things the bush administration has done are just so obviously immoral. How much of my taxes are spent on those things? How responsible does that make me? I also believe the US does good things, so leaving would make me not a part of those things too. Is it worth it?

Hard questions.

PerennialII said:
Really glad to hear people voting with their feet and caring that much !

Actually per, I am too british(german, scotish, irish, and with a dash of cherokee) to really stand for any of it! :grumpy:

I'm ready and willing, arh you willing ta organise ladd?!?

Thar blud shall bu sufficiant price if you knaw what I meen? :bugeye:

Theeese pansies frum Da Ca shuld paey thu priece! :tongue2:

Thay havn't rally leeved ef you knaw whut eye meen! Thyme ta teech thum a lusson! :rofl:

Phuk'm,so thay tall thu c'mmun man! Thyme to geeve thum a taeste uv thar uwn meducene! :rofl:

(I'm only abiding by the Jeffersonian mandate!)

Last edited:
polyb said:
Actually per, I am too british(german, scotish, irish, and with a dash of cherokee) to really stand for any of it! :grumpy:

I'm ready and willing, arh you willing ta organise ladd?!?

Thar blud shall bu sufficiant price if you knaw what I meen? :bugeye:

Theeese pansies frum Da Ca shuld paey thu priece! :tongue2:

Thay havn't rally leeved ef you knaw whut eye meen! Thyme ta teech thum a lusson! :rofl:

Phuk'm,so thay tall thu c'mmun man! Thyme to geeve thum a taeste uv thar uwn meducene! :rofl:

(I'm only abiding by the Jeffersonian mandate!)

1st read was a bit :confused: and the 2nd was :biggrin: ... shouldn't think when reading.

PerennialII said:
1st read was a bit :confused: and the 2nd was :biggrin: ... shouldn't think when reading.

That was my best or worst imititation of a priate of sorts, I guess!:biggrin:

What does it mean to "vote with their feet" in the context of the U.S.?

Voting with their feet refers to the act of physically moving or relocating to a different location in response to certain factors or conditions. In the context of the U.S., it typically refers to individuals or groups moving to a different state or region within the country.

What factors or conditions might cause someone to "vote with their feet" in the U.S.?

There are various reasons why someone might choose to relocate within the U.S., including economic opportunities, job availability, cost of living, quality of life, political and social climate, and personal preferences.

How common is it for people to "vote with their feet" in the U.S.?

The frequency of individuals or groups moving within the U.S. varies depending on different factors and circumstances. However, studies have shown that migration within the U.S. has been increasing in recent years, with more people moving to southern and western states for economic and lifestyle reasons.

What are the potential impacts of people "voting with their feet" in the U.S.?

The movement of people from one region to another can have significant impacts on both the areas they are leaving and the areas they are moving to. It can affect the economy, job market, demographics, and social and political dynamics of both regions.

Are there any potential drawbacks or challenges associated with people "voting with their feet" in the U.S.?

While relocation can bring new opportunities and benefits, it can also come with challenges such as adjusting to a new environment, finding affordable housing, and facing discrimination or cultural differences. Additionally, the movement of people can lead to gentrification and displacement of long-time residents in certain areas.

Back