The concept of conservation of angular momentum

In summary, the conservation of angular momentum is usually calculated with respect to an origin of our choice. However, in some situations, such as when comparing the angular momentum of two states, the calculation is done with respect to the center of mass. This may seem confusing, especially when the center of mass itself is moving in space. The mathematical justification for this comparison lies in the fact that the center of mass serves as a moving coordinate system, with the origin being the center of mass. This allows for the translational motion of the object to be invariant, even at relativistic speeds.
assaftolko
I always read that conservation of angular momentum is with respect to an origin of our choice, so if we want to compare the angular momentum of two situations, we have to calculate the angular momentum in these situations with respect to the same origin. However - I've seen in some questions that there's conservation of angular momentum, but the calculation of it in each state is with respect to the center of mass. Now comes the twist - between these two states the center of mass itself has changed it's position in space (like with a rod that spins as it's making translation movement as well - in t=0 the rod can be at the left side of a room and in t=t' it can be at the right side of the room, it's clear that the center of mass of the rod is not at the same position in space).

I'd like to know what is the mathmatical justification for this comparison even though the origin between the two states is not at the same location

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't is just a moving coordinate system with the origin being the center of mass so that the translational motion of the rod (or whatever) is invariant with respect to the coordinate system.

Maybe I don't completely understand completely because this makes sense to me in a classical limit but I'm not sure this holds true for relativistic speeds.

1. What is the concept of conservation of angular momentum?

The concept of conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant over time. This means that the total amount of rotational motion in a system will not change, even if individual components may change their rotational speed or direction.

2. Why is conservation of angular momentum important?

Conservation of angular momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of rotating bodies. It is also essential in many practical applications, such as spacecraft navigation and understanding the motion of celestial bodies.

3. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to everyday life?

Conservation of angular momentum can be observed in many everyday activities, such as a figure skater spinning faster by pulling in their arms, or a spinning top maintaining its upright position. It also plays a role in the stability and balance of objects, such as bicycles and gyroscopes.

4. Can conservation of angular momentum be violated?

No, conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, it may appear to be violated if an external torque is applied to a system, causing a change in its angular momentum. In such cases, the overall angular momentum of the system and its surroundings remains constant.

5. How is conservation of angular momentum related to other conservation laws?

Conservation of angular momentum is closely related to other conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and linear momentum. In fact, these laws are all interconnected and can be derived from each other. Conservation of angular momentum is also a consequence of the law of inertia, which states that an object will maintain its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.