MS Medical Physics: Thesis or Non-thesis Option

In summary: EricVT, thanks for the reply!In summary, a thesis-based masters degree in medical physics from the same university as your MS degree will not be a major advantage when applying for a job, but it can be an advantage for residency applications or a PhD program.
Biophyz
Hi All,

I am currently in a CAMPEP-accredited medical physics program. I have the option to do a thesis masters or a non-thesis masters (additional coursework). When it comes down to it, will it make a big difference in my hireabilty whether I choose to do a thesis or non-thesis masters from the same university? I do have an MS degree in biophysics (hence the username) which did involve research, so I DO have some graduate level research experience.

I am not particularly fond of research and hope to spend most of my time doing clinical work, so it seems like it wouldn't be a huge advantage to do a thesis masters.

Also, I may consider applying to a PhD program after I garner a bit of work experience.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be a clinically meaningful thesis? What is the extent of your current clinical medical physics experience? Do you intend to pursue a residency position following graduation? Given the choice between additional didactic coursework and a clinically oriented research project, I would be more inclined to pursue the research.

Assuming that you are forgoing the residency for a junior physicist job (which I might reconsider if your clinical experience is limited): employers want to know that you have an appropriate degree, and having one from a CAMPEP program tells them that you've completed a reasonably thorough sequence of courses. Having a few courses beyond that might not be much of an additional selling point, but being able to intelligently discuss something clinically practical that you investigated and gained experience in could make you a stronger candidate.

If you are looking for residency positions then I think the thesis option would definitely make you a stronger candidate.

However, should you choose to not pursue the thesis option, I don't think it will be a deal breaker for employers in community hospital environments or free standing clinics or consulting groups. It might make you less interesting to potential employers in academic environments, though.

EricVT, thanks for the reply!

The thesis project would not be very clinically meaningful (Monte Carlo simulation of proton beam). I currently don't have any clinical experience however I will receive clinical training during the summer semester through our school's clinical rotation. I'll spend two full days a week learning with a physicist. I'll also spend two days a week in a lab class where I will be learning various therapy and imaging tasks.

I plan to apply to both residencies as well as junior physicist jobs. I'd probably take a residency if I was offered one, but would be happy with a junior physicist job too.

Last edited:
Since you've already done a thesis-based master's degree in a closely related field, doing another one is unlikely to bring much more to the table.

That said, many MSc-level medical physics graduates are finding that the job market is extremely competative right now and many are opting to continue on to the PhD to be more competative for a residency. It will likely be easier to get into a PhD program if you do the thesis-based option.

Another advantage of a thesis-based option is that it will likely lead to a medical physics related publication, which will add "value" to your CV - even for clinically-oriented positions.

As a scientist in the field of medical physics, I can understand your dilemma about choosing between a thesis or non-thesis option for your master's degree. In my opinion, both options have their own advantages and it ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.

If you are more interested in pursuing a career in clinical work, then a non-thesis master's degree may be a better option for you. This will allow you to focus on gaining practical skills and knowledge that are directly applicable to your desired job in a clinical setting. However, if you are considering pursuing a PhD in the future, a thesis master's degree may provide you with a stronger foundation in research and may make you a more competitive candidate for PhD programs.

In terms of hireability, both options can be equally valuable. Employers in the field of medical physics are looking for individuals with a strong understanding of the principles and techniques of medical physics, as well as practical experience in a clinical setting. Both a thesis and non-thesis master's degree can provide you with these skills, so it is more important to focus on gaining relevant experience and skills during your program.

Ultimately, the decision between a thesis or non-thesis option should be based on your personal goals and interests. If you are unsure, I would recommend speaking with professors and professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the potential career paths and opportunities available with each option. Best of luck in your decision and future studies.

What is the difference between the thesis and non-thesis option in MS Medical Physics?

The thesis option involves conducting original research and writing a thesis, while the non-thesis option typically involves coursework and a comprehensive exam. The thesis option is recommended for students interested in pursuing a career in research, while the non-thesis option may be more suitable for those interested in a clinical or industry-based career.

What are the requirements for completing a thesis in MS Medical Physics?

The requirements for completing a thesis in MS Medical Physics may vary depending on the specific program, but typically include a minimum number of credit hours, completion of a research project, and successful defense of the thesis in front of a committee. Students may also be required to publish their research in a peer-reviewed journal.

Can I switch from the non-thesis to thesis option during my MS Medical Physics program?

Yes, it is possible to switch from the non-thesis to thesis option during your MS Medical Physics program. However, this may require additional coursework and a longer time to complete the program. It is important to discuss this option with your advisor and program director to ensure that it aligns with your academic and career goals.

What are the career opportunities for graduates with a thesis option in MS Medical Physics?

Graduates with a thesis option in MS Medical Physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and private industries. They may also pursue further education in a PhD program or work in clinical settings as medical physicists.

Can I complete a thesis in a specific area of medical physics?

Yes, it is possible to complete a thesis in a specific area of medical physics, such as radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, or nuclear medicine. It is important to discuss your research interests with your advisor and identify a faculty member with expertise in your desired area to serve as your thesis advisor.