What would be a good Book on Nuclear Shell Model?

In summary, if you're looking for background information on higher-energy states in Carbon reactions, textbooks on quantum mechanics, atomic physics, and spectroscopy are good places to start.
eigenstaytes
I'm in undergrad doing research with a professor. He's leaving for vacation for a few weeks, and has tasked me with a project. I've been analyzing some spectra for some Carbon reactions, and he posed a question to me on why we don't see other higher-energy states, even if the experiment is ran at higher energies.

Obviously, he doesn't expect me to come up with an exact answer, and is just having me feel the waters - he's told me before that I'm going to tell another professor in our department why his theory is wrong. However, I would like to have some background in this area so I can come up with a theory, even if it's not the best. I'm not 100% sure about what I should look out for in a book to read. If someone could give me some recommendations, that would be great.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit: I'm going into my senior year in physics in the fall, the only courses that I haven't really taken thus far are E&M I & II.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend looking up textbooks on quantum mechanics, atomic physics, and spectroscopy. A few popular titles include: Quantum Mechanics by Stephen Gasiorowicz, Atomic Structure and Spectroscopy by Richard E. Balmer, and Introduction to Spectroscopy by Pavia, Lampman, Kriz, and Vyvyan. These should provide you with the necessary background to answer your professor's question. Additionally, some online resources like MIT OpenCourseWare might also be helpful.

What is the Nuclear Shell Model?

The Nuclear Shell Model is a theoretical framework used to describe the structure of atomic nuclei. It explains how protons and neutrons are arranged in energy levels, or shells, within the nucleus.

What are the main components of a good book on Nuclear Shell Model?

A good book on the Nuclear Shell Model should cover the basic principles and concepts of the model, as well as its historical development and current applications. It should also include relevant mathematical equations and examples, and provide a comprehensive overview of experimental evidence supporting the model.

Are there any recommended books on Nuclear Shell Model for beginners?

Yes, there are several books that are commonly recommended for beginners studying the Nuclear Shell Model, such as "The Nuclear Shell Model" by Amos de-Shalit and Igal Talmi, and "Nuclear Shell Theory" by Akito Arima and Makoto Itoh. These books provide a solid foundation in the principles and applications of the model.

Are there any recent advancements or updates to the Nuclear Shell Model?

Yes, the Nuclear Shell Model is an active area of research and there have been many advancements and updates in recent years. These include improvements in the understanding of nuclear forces, the discovery of new shell structures, and the development of new methods for calculating nuclear properties using the model.

What is the difference between the Nuclear Shell Model and other models of nuclear structure?

The Nuclear Shell Model is one of the most successful and widely used models for describing nuclear structure. It differs from other models in that it is based on a quantum mechanical approach, taking into account the properties and interactions of individual nucleons, rather than assuming a collective behavior of the nucleus. This makes it more accurate and applicable to a wider range of nuclei.